Rusty Header Pipes

After riding throughout winter, i now have rusty header pipes. Does anyone know best way to clean and treat the rust?

Are there any header shields available for fz1n.

If they are rusted it's too late. Th original plating has been compromised. The best thing to do is sand blast them and paint them with a high heat paint. There are rust removers out there but you will certainly rust back up again. I actually use BBQ paint (flat black) on my exhaust and it has lasted years and it looks techie. Just make sure you neutralize the rust befor painting. This can be done by sand blasting or chemically. You can also have them ceramic coated ( there are colors available) but that gets to be expensive.:shine:

Ask your wife is bar-keeper's friend will work. She'll probably will think so.

After riding throughout winter, i now have rusty header pipes. Does anyone know best way to clean and treat the rust?

Are there any header shields available for fz1n.

I thought the stock headers were ss :confused: Anyway if you want a long term solution that will work great then ceramic coating is really your only option.

I thought the stock headers were ss :confused: Anyway if you want a long term solution that will work great then ceramic coating is really your only option.

If a magnet sticks to it, it's not 100% stainless steel. There are some SS that contain more iron than others. 409SS, commonly used in OEM exhaust applications, has enough iron that it will eventually rust. You will notice this around flanges and welds. 409SS is less expensive than say 304SS, which has almost no iron. It's mostly nickel and chrome. 304SS is generally used in the aftermarket and on hi-$ vehicles. Just my two cents worth of useless information I keep in my gray matter.:drools:

If your headers are rusting, heavens knows, other things are as well, its time to do a thourough clean-up with WD or something like and stop it before it manifests as brown spots here and there.....

Even true SS can rust in harsh conditions.

True, but it's not like his header pipes were immersed in salt water. I would suspect that the FZ1 pipes are 409SS and what he's seeing is merely some surface rust, that while not pretty, will not have any impact on the longevity of the pipes.

Back