Trailers for touring

I supose many of us have wondered about the alternative of pulling a small trailer with our FZ's. Now while it probably is a last place choice in the realm of touring, it might be a viable choice. I would think the FZ's would have sufficient power to do this kind of pulling duty, however I'v never come across anything mentioning the use of the FZ or any pictures. I suspect that pulling a trailer would have it's own peculiarities. And I'm wondering if the swingarm is up to the additional stress being likely thin-wall aluminum. On that point, I'm not up to speed as the reviews and discription of the 'new and improved' for this year information escapes me, being probably in some review from some time back. Were it possable to pull a small trailer, I'm wondering what might be the weight all gross that one would want to pull, with the ability of the FZ braking system. Well this may be a fool-hardy idea, but ....well who knows, it might be an option as well.

Well I found information in the form of a PDF that shows the FZ1 owners manual indicating that the FZ1 is NOT intended to pull a trailer or have a sidecar affixed..... too bad. But probably sound since its Yamaha's own words.

Well not to make this thread a complete waste

I'v also found something that might be of interest to those wanting to fight vibration on their handelbars.... give these a look...

check the other forum b/c there are some members who have pulled traliers long distances quite successfully with the FZ.

Just because the manufactuer does not recommend it, do not mean it does not possess the capability with some igeneuity.

it's been done

I remember seeing a Gen2? I think with a single wheeled trailer out back on the other forum, like Brohay said. It may take some digging on your part. I would not do that to my baby but whatever works for you. I figure I could stay in decent hotels for a lot of nights before I would spend what you would on a trailer set-up.
That said I did find a couple of pictures that should get you thinking. One of a new concoors with a matching trailer, pricey I'll bet. Two of an FJR1300 with a more conventional style (read cheaper).

Oops, sorry I couldn't resist!

Last edited:
I don't know if either can outfit these to the FZ1 or not but a quick Google turned up these:

Uni-go Trailers Texas Plus

One wheeled trailers, hitches, cooler racks for motorcycles by N-LINE trailers

Third Wheel Trailers - When play becomes the long haul, we are right behind you.

Leave it up to some redneck in NH for this one... Motorcycle barrel trailers

MotoGoodies® - Exclusive Luggage System For Motorbike

If the axle is hollow, you can haul this pricy bugger! TourMAX Single Wheel Motorcycle Trailer

Untitled Document from Canada. Looks like a Thule cargo box on a frame!

Eaglemate Trailers - Home but this mounts too high for my comfort.

http://cyclope2000.com/intro_2002.swf

Those are a few...

What I think is the best design is the single-wheeled trailers that mount low to the swingarm and lean with the bike. Two-wheelers with a ball type mount scare the heck out of me thinking about the implications of it in tight corners, etc... My favorite is the Thirdwheeltrailers link above.

I don't know if either can outfit these to the FZ1 or not but a quick Google turned up these:

Uni-go Trailers Texas Plus

One wheeled trailers, hitches, cooler racks for motorcycles by N-LINE trailers

Third Wheel Trailers - When play becomes the long haul, we are right behind you.

Leave it up to some redneck in NH for this one... Motorcycle barrel trailers

MotoGoodies® - Exclusive Luggage System For Motorbike

If the axle is hollow, you can haul this pricy bugger! TourMAX Single Wheel Motorcycle Trailer

Untitled Document from Canada. Looks like a Thule cargo box on a frame!

Eaglemate Trailers - Home but this mounts too high for my comfort.

http://cyclope2000.com/intro_2002.swf

Those are a few...

What I think is the best design is the single-wheeled trailers that mount low to the swingarm and lean with the bike. Two-wheelers with a ball type mount scare the heck out of me thinking about the implications of it in tight corners, etc... My favorite is the Thirdwheeltrailers link above.

I've heard about the third wheel trailers. At sport-touring.net there's a guy who uses one and says they are very stable and he can barely tell he has one. There's also a guy with a uni go and says that it is unstable and big rigs can easily blow you off course.

There was another guy who used a trailer behind his gen 1 on a super long trip two-up with his wife on the other forum too.

Yam does NOT recommend the FZ1 to pull a trailer. Not a tour bike. I think the FJR and connie and goldwings can safely pull a trailer.

Yam does NOT recommend the FZ1 to pull a trailer. Not a tour bike. I think the FJR and connie and goldwings can safely pull a trailer.

There's a LOT of things Yamaha doesn't recommend for these bikes but most people do them anyway.

With towing, Yamaha has likely generalized their recommendation just as a CYA message. They would rather tell everyone "Don't!" than try and decipher which mounting method, trailer config, number of wheels, tongue weight, capacity, dimensions, etc.... As with modding any bike or cage, it's all up to the owner. People just need to use some common sense and be sure to research this to be sure it is safe according to the trailer company because you'll never get Yamaha to buy-in.

Back