Changing the gauge colors

a7x3797

Well, after batting the idea around for what seems like 2 years now, I finally have some time on my hands so I just ordered up some LEDs and im doing the swap as soon as they come in. I ordered White for the display and blue for the tach needle. Im keeping the tach white/red as it sits, but adding the blue needle will accent it quite well. These is a big write up on the other forum of someone who used to do them and he has a bunch of sample pictures show, which can spark some ideas. There is a company bluegauges.com that does it too but they charge $65 and you have to pay for shipping. I figured for $10 in LEDs after shipping (I ordered double what I needed in case of mistakes or bad parts) it was a worth-while project. Of course I will be upploading the pictures to the site when im done!!

Here's what I ordered... Unique Leds High Quality hard to find LED and LED products with fare shipping and everyday low pricing - LEDS :: SMD LEDS :: PLCC2 Top Emitting Leds :: PLCC2 Surface mount Top Led - Blue A few in blue and several in white
Im nearly certain they are the right ones, they were, however, not easy to find. Most companies sold them on strips of 50+, this was the only place I could by them individually. Obviously they're more expensive this way, but for $0.69 a piece, I dont really mind.

Looks like a hell of a lot of desoldering/soldering. I'm looked into doing it myself, but (at least temporarily) decided against it. I've tried contacting the guy from the other forum, but have had no success.
If you're gonna do it, you should definitely document it for the forum.
:needpics:

Besides changing the LED beneath the tach needle, are you going to repaint the needle too?

I have been trying to find a clear or white needle online with no success, so I may look into painting it... not sure yet. Ill have to see when I take it all apart.

Painting it. R1 has white needles, but I doubt they fit. Since I'm doing white, you have to do a different color, like pink or something...

Mine with Blue LEDs on the speedo

007-9.jpg

Go here

Oops, there was an error! | FZ8Central

Last edited:
I've got an FZ8 and changed the Gauge colors. It wasn't too hard. Just have to be patient and steady. I went with all white except the needle in blue.
By the way I took rubbing alcohol to the needle to take the stock coloring off of the back side and took some white reflective 3M tape and cut it so it fit perfectly to the backside of the needle and it reflects the blue quite nicely.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got an FZ8 and changed the Gauge colors. It wasn't too hard. Just have to be patient and steady. I went with all white except the needle in blue.
By the way I took rubbing alcohol to the needle to take the stock coloring off of the back side and took some white reflective 3M tape and cut it so it fit perfectly to the backside of the needle and it reflects the blue quite nicely.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Did the rubbing alcohol take all of the orange off? And what tape did you use, could you post a picture if you have one? Im taking mine all apart tonight so I want to make sure I have all of the supplies ready

Use the rubbing alcohol on a q-tip to get the Orange off. You should already have some for after de-soldering.

Back