ECU Flash feedback (poll)

Have you had your ECU reflashed?

• Yes, and I don't recommend it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

a7x3797

Hello gang,
I have been thinking long and hard about sending Ivan my ECU for a reflash. I wanted to hear from everybody first though who has had it done. So if you have had the flash done, I'd appreciate I you could leave a short message to all of us out there on the fence about it to share your likes, dislikes and anything else you see fit.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Just so everybody knows, the one "No" in the poll was from me when I hit it while scrolling and can't figure out now how to change it. I do intend to have it done.

Just do it I had my ECU re-mapped and tweaked on a dyno, difference is night and day, if you think your Yam is quick now you will be astounded after remap, especially the beefier low end pull from idle, I have posted about it on here just do a quick search mate. Without doubt the best performance enhancing mod you can do in my opinion.

I found out that you need to do and buy a lot more mods to make it work. Much more than I care for since I'm very happy with how it feels and works in stock mode.

Since it will never see a track (while I own it) there isn't any need for more power. I use second gear in town and once in a while third. I'm more of a commuter and an occasional sport rider because we have vast stretches of flat straight road here in Central Illinois. Comfort is more critiacl than engine performance so I'd rather throw money at that.

I spoke to Ivan and it seems that you need to spend an additional $1,000 or more to get the full benefit. That can buy a lot of good riding gear in my opinion. I'm sure it's a bargain for those that like their front wheel in the air but I like mine on the ground and a 0 - 60 time of 4 seconds or so is fast for me. (I have only had one speeding ticket in 47 years.)

If you have not had your ECU flashed don't see how you can have a opinion on weather it is a good thing or not. You opinion should be saved for is a stock bike good enough for you??? For me I mod everything..

Like OldBiker, I have no intentions on ever getting the flash. With my limited mods, my FZ is right where I want it. When I first got the bike, like many others I felt it was a little weak down low. The 16/47 combo really changed that. The bike does 1st and 2nd gear power wheelies as it is. That's more than enough for me.

If you want a lot more power or your bike suffers from fuel cut snatch, than the flash is definitely the way to go. The newer years, 2011 to present don't suffer from fuel cut snatch. In fact my bikes fueling and power delivery are as good as any other bike I've owned. I think that is why you don't see many bikes from those years getting the flash. IMO, for my riding style, it is just not necessary. However there are many people here that are much faster riders than I am, and like to ride more aggressive. For them the flash may be necessary. Just to put things into perspective. My other bike is a Piaggio BV200 scooter. It has a whole 23 hp and there are times I have more fun on it than I do on my FZ.

The flash also makes the bike much easier to ride in almost every way. The low-end power picks up some well needed grunt making around town riding much smoother and enjoyable. The bike makes smoother power by a large margin.

If you want a lot more power or your bike suffers from fuel cut snatch, than the flash is definitely the way to go.

I think even your riding style would benefit from Ivan's flash. This isn't all about power and speed. The flash really helps the bike in so many other ways. The smoother throttle response is my biggest gain. The throttle is 100% predictable now, no more snatch but also no more jerkiness. Most of us live in the mid-range and this is where the OEM bike suffers the most. The flash transforms the bike into something that is actually responsive and usable where we ride daily.

I don't stunt, I don't wheelie, I don't race... I ride and commute. The way this bike handles and responds now is night and day over stock.

I only wish you were close enough to throw a leg over mine and see for yourself. Like you, I was skeptical that I could get a whole lot of benefit from the flash until I actually had it done. Now, I cannot believe I didn't do it sooner. I've never been a huge fan of Ivan in the past but I have a whole new respect for him and his work. He really is a genius with bikes.

Haha, it's sill a 5 hour ride into NYC area. That's too far for me

It might take you 5 hours to get there, but after you ride it out of his shop? You'll be home in 3 hours!

Book a night in the area and make it a weekend. Arrange with Ivan to have it done on Sunday. ;)

If you have not had your ECU flashed don't see how you can have a opinion on weather it is a good thing or not. You opinion should be saved for is a stock bike good enough for you??? For me I mod everything..

Gee you must read as well as your usage of vocabulary. The OP has a poll, one of the options was No and the reason why. I voted and explained why. The word is whether, weather is the climate outside like rain, snow, etc.

I have a 2012 and it has the smoothest most predictable throttle response of any bike I've owned or ridden in the past 40+ years.

Gee you must read as well as your usage of vocabulary. The OP has a poll, one of the options was No and the reason why. I voted and explained why. The word is whether, weather is the climate outside like rain, snow, etc.

I have a 2012 and it has the smoothest most predictable throttle response of any bike I've owned or ridden in the past 40+ years.

Exactly, I am thinking of doing the Flash and i wanted a general poll of hopefully everyone on the forum. your response was EXACTLY what I was looking for.
There are so many posts all over about the flash, i was hoping to put them all in a neat concise spot :)

From a little research, it seems like the 2012 did round out the choppy throttle response a bit.

I guess I too don`t want to spend the extra loot to get the best from the flash [pc3-5, pipe, dyno, etc],I own a 2008 Fz1 and don`t find the throttle to bad, just learn`t to ride around it, it may sound silly but I fitted a set of grip puppy`s and the larger Diameter grip has helped smooth out throttle feel quiet a bit.

I have a 2012 and it has the smoothest most predictable throttle response of any bike I've owned or ridden in the past 40+ years.[/QUOTE]

I don't think some of these guys realize how much improved the 2012 fuel injection is compared to prior years. I rode a 2006 before I bought my bike and was totally turned off. It wasn't until I test rode a 2012 that my mind was made up to buy the FZ1.

I don't think some of these guys realize how much improved the 2012 fuel injection is compared to prior years. I rode a 2006 before I bought my bike and was totally turned off. It wasn't until I test rode a 2012 that my mind was made up to buy the FZ1.
[/quote]

You may be right. I tried to induce "throttle snatch" as it was described and could barely feel it, if I even thought I felt it. Sure if you slam the throttle shut and then immediately crank it open you can feel something like they describe but that's extreme.

I come from the old school of learning to roll the throttle as smoothly as possible which is why I never noticed anything.

I imagine the 2013 and 2014 may be even better.

Back