Heavier guys... tell me what you did to your suspension?

finstinct

So I'm on an 08 with stock suspension. Last week I got back from a 1600 miles trip where I had probably too much gear on the bike to go with my slim 235# self.

I took a trip up into the mountains yesterday afternoon to play in the twisties a little and don't like the way my bike was handling. I'm not seasoned enough to diagnose it, but I felt as though my rear was softer than it has been in the past.

I always check my tire pressures before riding but did again anyway. Fine. I changed tires recently from the stock PR's to Conti Motion tires but these tires performed pretty well before my trip.

I feel like maybe overloading the bike and riding some pretty bumpy roads may have softened my rear shock. I already had the damn thing maxed out due to my svelt frame...

What are my options? New spring? Can these shocks be upgraded at all? I'll tell you I am not going to drop $900 on a rear shock, I don't track the bike at all but I'd like to improve it from where it is right now. I see guys doing R1 conversions but I don't exactly know why that is such a popular option.

I'm in Los Angeles, anybody know a decent guy to take it to who will go over all my options with me?

Kevin

I replaced all of my suspension.

Penske 8983 in the rear, with a properly sized spring... Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 cartridges and 1.10kg springs up front... but I run about 250# ...

Stock suspension really won't do it for you. The Gen 2 has a bit of a stiffer spring on the rear than the Gen 1, so you might be within range there, but probably not on the front....

Start by setting your static and dynamic sag. That will tell you what changes you need to make. You may be able to get by with just front springs.

Check out Race Tech Suspension or RT - Digital Product Search for a Gen II, then click on the calculate the spring rate link in yellow to put your own info in.

I have not done the upgrades yet, but after talking to the guy in my shop about the rear spring/shock it would be best to ditch it for either a Satans/R1 setup or I was looking at the Penske 8975. Either way you want a spring weight that is specific for you.

The front forks can be rebuilt with weight appropriate springs as well. Basically you're getting in for about $1500 to get the right setup for your weight (I weigh 235-240 as well). The stock will never do it because the springs are for a rider weight of 150-160.

I replaced all of my suspension.

Penske 8983 in the rear, with a properly sized spring... Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 cartridges and 1.10kg springs up front... but I run about 250# ...

Stock suspension really won't do it for you. The Gen 2 has a bit of a stiffer spring on the rear than the Gen 1, so you might be within range there, but probably not on the front....

Start by setting your static and dynamic sag. That will tell you what changes you need to make. You may be able to get by with just front springs.

That about sums it up for me too... 8983 sprung for my weight, 1.0kg springs but no cartridges yet.

One thing I have not seen discussed... Can you just upgrade the spring on the stock shock?

I'm working on getting my sag done again since I "feel" like its changed but I need another set of hands to help out.

One thing I have not seen discussed... Can you just upgrade the spring on the stock shock?

I'm working on getting my sag done again since I "feel" like its changed but I need another set of hands to help out.

My guy at the shop said it would not be a good idea to mod up the stock shock or that it couldn't been done. I don't remember but it was not made in a way that was allowed for being rebuilt.

The stock Gen2 FZ1 shock is crap. I had mine modified by my suspension sponsor and the valving set-up he used worked well. I think I am the only one on the forums to have the stock shock modded. Yes, you can get a heavier spring for the shock, but the problem is not enough compression damping. The R1 shock and Satan's adapter is the best bang for the buck for the rear shock. I now have a Penske shock that I got used for $250, so I sold my modded stock shock to cover the cost.

The forks will need springs and they might have enough compression and rebound to handle things. If they are too soft, you can use the next heavier weight fork oil.

Good luck,

So as I had thought, my sag has increased on the rear to almost 40mm . This has gotten worse and its already on the stiffest setting. :( Forks are able to be tuned into less than 30mm but I can't go too stiff because the rear is so soft. Oh well I enjoy BBQ a little to much I guess!

Interesting.
Is this just an inherent flaw with the Gen #2?
I'm 6'5 and 260lbs. I've been riding my Gen 1 for almost 4 years now. Even though I did the R1 fork conversion, I have had ZERO problems with the rear suspension.

The Gen1 suspension is not great either, but they did come with a better suspension balance than the Gen2. If you spring the Gen1 shock for your weight, the new spring will overwhelm the stock rebound damping.

r1 rear with adapter and bigger spring, r1 front forks, adjust and enjoy. i could do springs on the front but not necessary just yet for a street bike

R1 shock and Satans adapter is the way to go when on a budget. You cab mess with the different linkages to get more ride height,

Yes, you can get different springs.

You can also raise the forks in the clamps to get a more aggressive turning quality. Be careful, as you will lower your ground clearance.

I weigh in at 215, have the R1 & adapter, and have my forks up in the clamps by 10mm.

Dave MOSS Set Up

Dave Moss set up my 08 FZ1 at a Sacramento CG Bike night in June. I was 245, now I am 212. He said it still had the "ultra soft factory settings from the day it was sold."

He did lots of wrenching on the front(those brass looking threads now stick WAY up), then the back. He ask be if I ever rode it loaded down with a passenger and gear. I told him 1-3 times a year. He showed me were the rear shock wrench was then said, "alone, leave the back in the middle. Loaded down with weight wrench it up four clicks in stiffness."
This works great when I have me(215), then wife(145) and a loaded tank bag on my bike.

IMHO

Back