Lifespan on oem sprocket & chain

terdog

Ive been watching my stock chain and sprocket lately. The time between chain slack adjustments has been getting shorter every time. Since the odometer tells me that shes at 43.8K, I figured that it was time to replace it. Thats right, 44 K! Thats some high quality chain. I have never gotten over 25k out of a stock chain in my 30 yrs of riding. And while the CS is pretty much done, the rear still has some life left. Get a beer can sprocket to do that!

terdog-albums-pics-picture3710-cell-fz-sprocket-003.jpg

I was going to replace it with another stock chain and 45 - 16 as its been a great combo. But, a good deal came up on a RK XSOZ chain, and I still have the stock 17 that had 2K on it before I swapped it out for the 16. So, I found a 48 rear in black for $38 shipped, used the free 17 and tied it together with the $110 RK. Hey, THE GREAT RECESSION still looms in my mind.

Even though the rear uses locking nuts, I still want to cover my butt with some locktite. Also, the washers get a spray of WD before assembly. And no I didnt use the stupid high factory torque settings, but torqured them to 45lbs.

terdog-albums-pics-picture3709-cell-fz-sprocket-chain-003.jpg

A habit I learned from my dirt riding, is to remove the axle adjusting bolts, clean the with brake cleaner then coat the threads with anti-seize so that they dont corrode into the AL threads.

terdog-albums-pics-picture3708-cell-fz-sprocket-chain-005.jpg

All in all, some quality time in the man cave with lil' red.

terdog-albums-pics-picture3701-fz1-034small.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! That is amazing mileage you got out of the stock chain and sprockets. I guess it pays to clean, lube and adjust the chain as required :)

My work has taken me 150 miles from home every week, plus I was doing 60-80 miles per day. Then on friday I was riding 150 back home. Lane sharing during the commute, cruising at 85-90 mph. Its not like she had it easy. Then there was the occasional "twistie" that would succumb to my will. :sport12:

Part of my maintenance was washing / adjust (seldom needed) / lubeing / checking the tire press every Sunday in preparation to the weeks commute.

Wow, that's 70000 km how did you do that?

Not really sure. Maybe it was one of those " 1 in a million" things. All I did was ride it, clean it, lube it.

But, I also get 15k - 17k out of a set of PR2's...

I am the 3rd owner of a Gen I and have 53,000 kms on the odometer.
The chain and sprockets are original and since I have replaced both tires, a noise is coming from the chain. It began with a "slapping" sound. So back I go to the dealership. Too loose he says. Retighten and with a couple of days, a grinding sound. Back to the dealership. Too tight, he says. If it comes back, he says I will need to replace the chain and both sprockets, just cuz its the right thing to do. I agree with that. Not too pissed, just wanted to let people know that after 53,000 kms...it will be the time to change.

Ok, so I was on the clean and lube every 500 mile kick. Then it got so hot here that I would let it go 1,000-1,500 miles. In that time for some reason I've been getting this fine powdered rust on the chain (also happening on my mountain bike). Also it seems the chain is either not adjusted correctly (2 tire changes) or it's wearing out because it is a lot looser. I'm at 19k miles and the guy at the shop said factory chains are only supposed to last 15k miles. Sprocket looks great and there aren't any real uneven wear lines on the chain.

How am I doing and do I really need to get back on the every 500 mile clean and lube effort again?

Im not sure what the heat has to do with how often you lube your chain...

In AZ in the summer, you run from AC to AC building. Even at 1am sometimes it is still 100 degrees. Last night was a cool night and I changed the oil, washed the bike and lubed the change. I was still sweating drops at 11pm at 91 degrees.

"the guy at the shop said factory chains are only supposed to last 15k miles"
Is that for the fz1 Ssky?
Cuz I have almost 33,000 miles on my oem chain and sprockets.
If it doesn't hold its adjustments, does that mean its time for a new chain and sprockets?
The plastic running guide that is connected to the swing arm is showing grooves from the chain. Is that normal?

Sounds like you need get a box fan. Or work at daybreak. Even given the heat, Id still lube the chain. Seems like the quickest/easiest thing that you could do.

"the guy at the shop said factory chains are only supposed to last 15k miles"

A lot of variables there. Maintenance,initial quality and operator use. I would suggest that sportbikes, for example, wear out faster because the chain is lighter (weaker), the operators dont think of chain maintenance as being worthy of thier attention, and they tend to get abused with wheelies.

If it doesn't hold its adjustments, does that mean its time for a new chain and sprockets?

Thats a good indication that its going. Whether its done depends on the amount of stretch. Id definately start looking for replacements to have on hand.

The plastic running guide that is connected to the swing arm is showing grooves from the chain. Is that normal?

Show us a pic. They are molded with ridges that act as a guide. I have had many rides in my 30 yrs of riding that have hit 100k miles, and have never wore out a guide.

Haveing your chain will shorten its life. You want it as loose as possible without "slapping".

Back