FZ1N in North America Poll

FZ1N Poll

• I Prefer The FZ1 With A Fairing

Votes: 25 46.3%
  • I Prefer The FZ1 Naked But Have AN FZ1 With A Fairing Because I Couldn't Buy It Naked

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • I Converted To The FZ1N

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • I Bought An ENtirely Different Naked Bike

Votes: 2 3.7%

• Total voters
When I was looking to upgrade my FZ6R, the FZ1 wasn't even on my radar because of the looks. The half-fairing thing just didn't turn me on. I was looking at a CB1000R, an MV Agusta Brutale, and an FZ8. It was only when I came across a picture of an FZ1N that I started to consider this bike. Once I learned about the conversion, the Honda and the FZ8 fell out of the running immediately. The MV had a shot, but ultimately, I stuck with Yamaha. I was telling my local dealership, though, that Yamaha almost lost an established customer by not offering the FZ1N.

All this is making me wonder, how many bikes would Yamaha sell if they offered the FZ1N in this market? So, let's see some numbers. If you have done the conversion, post here. There are lots of good threads to show off pics of your bike, but another one won't hurt, so post a pic of your N.

Also, if you bought the FZ1, but would have preferred naked and just haven't spent the time/money to do the conversion, post here. Or, if you used to ride a Yamaha and went to something else because you wanted a 1000cc naked bike, post your comments. Maybe if the thread gets big enough the GenIII FZ1N will make it to our market.

I'll go first: My 2012 FZ1N beside a showroom stock 2012 FZ1.

I was looking at the CB1000R and was this close to getting one until i found out about the N --- my headlight conversion should ship from partshark today, and i cant wait to get it all set up. Def wish teh N was sold here to save me all the hassle of doing the mods - but then again thats half the fun of having a bike.

I am a gen1 owner, but I do love the fz1n. My buddy has one and its a beautiful beast! My gen1 is a rough naked bike, but I do love the lack of fairing. Something about it adds to the hooliganism of the bike and it rocks!

Here's a naked shot.
ypederu4.jpg

CB1000R was my bike till I saw Fz1N. I went ahead converted and saved $ .
Love at the first sight! :bowdown:

Last edited:
I prefer the fairing because it cuts down on flying debris like bugs and sand. I can also ride in a t-shirt and tuck in the cold weather in South Florida when the temperature drops to 65 degrees.

My Honda didn't have a fairing and it was a bitch to ride over 80 MPH because your body acts like a sail.

Many people say they like a naked bike, but naked bikes historically don't sell well in the US. Manufacturers have gotten burned in the past by overestimating the real market for naked bikes, in the end most people want some type of fairing on their bikes. US riders tend to ride longer distances than those in Europe or Japan and like the even minimal effects of some sort of fairing on their machines.

Many people say they like a naked bike, but naked bikes historically don't sell well in the US. Manufacturers have gotten burned in the past by overestimating the real market for naked bikes, in the end most people want some type of fairing on their bikes. US riders tend to ride longer distances than those in Europe or Japan and like the even minimal effects of some sort of fairing on their machines.

To each their own. I've had some big days (400-500 miles) on my FZ1 and don't really mind the lack of protection. I'm not everyone, though. I can see how people would prefer a wind break. I just don't see how Yamaha would get burned offering the FZ1 in naked trim. It's the same bike. I bet would be pretty easy to make it a dealer installed option and eliminate the need to plan on how many of each to ship.

I prefer the fairing because it cuts down on flying debris like bugs and sand. I can also ride in a t-shirt and tuck in the cold weather in South Florida when the temperature drops to 65 degrees.

My Honda didn't have a fairing and it was a bitch to ride over 80 MPH because your body acts like a sail.

Cold weather 65? I envy your weather. I converted to naked and take long trips and dont mind the change, its acutall quieter because the air doesnt hit me at face level off lf the windshield anymore. But i do agree high speeds are a little more challenging , just have to get in tuck

The more you get used to it, the easier it is, believe it or not

:stunta]:

I agree.
I drove a 2002 SV 650 for years and that included a commute down one of the most dangerous hiways in Texas. I routinely hit drove 80-90 mph down the interstate and with the exception of a few really windy days - it wasn't that bad.
If you do drive a naked bike just understand that there will be some days that the wind will be a little rough on you but it's by no means a deal breaker. When you ride a motorcycle everyday you get used to bad weather, varying temperature and all kinds of things like adjusting for windage.
Now I will counter that with the statement that if you mainly drive commute everyday and that is your primary driving - a naked is probably not the best choice. If you drive a lot in addition to your commute - you should not let wind deter you from buying a naked.
People probably get sick of hearing me say this but I will say it until the day I die: There is NO best motorcycle. Just pick the kind of driving that you want to do and then choose the best bike for that kind of riding. That is one reason folks love the FZ1 (in all varieties) - it doesn't really do anything perfect but it does everything well.

You're absolutely right; there is NO perfect motorcycle. That why, if I could afford it, I would own a fleet of bikes and ride all of them regularly. I doubt there are many people here who would refuse the opportunity to own multiple bikes.

You're absolutely right; there is NO perfect motorcycle. That why, if I could afford it, I would own a fleet of bikes and ride all of them regularly. I doubt there are many people here who would refuse the opportunity to own multiple bikes.

Oh it's an addiction for sure! A lot of us do own multiple bikes. Track days, dirt, everyday driving, canyons, two up, etc, etc, etc.
LOL
I'm getting really serious with a girl I'm dating and I could tell from the 1st time I met her that this was going somewhere...........On the night of our 1st "serious talk" I told her "I'm NOT selling ANY of my motorcycles. In fact, there are plans for another motorcycle before everything is said and done". LOL She said "I hope that "next" motorcycle is mine"..............I knew she was pretty damn special. :tup:

prefer fairing, but just because I can only have one bike right now... if I had a naked bike for quick rides as a second or third, I would love too, but since I need an all arounder... fairing for me...

obviously, I'm still with my 6R, FZ1 wasn't on my short list when I started looking, until I saw some of the fairing options... recently saw the F800GT... another one I think looks great and is functional... but since wife needs a new car... I'm still a few years out before I can add to my stable... will see what's available then

the FZ1 comes with a very small faring. it is almost useless, but on a long hard ride it is good to have.
it does just cut the wind so your body does not have too.

.:sport12:

On the night of our 1st "serious talk" I told her "I'm NOT selling ANY of my motorcycles. In fact, there are plans for another motorcycle before everything is said and done". LOL She said "I hope that "next" motorcycle is mine"..............I knew she was pretty damn special. :tup:

Sounds like you've got a winner. What's that old hip hop song "Throw some D's on it." You should make a new one called "Throw a keyring on it."

Back