--> Troll alert <--

Hey everyone ! What's up ?

Im Joe, 23, residing in Bellingham, MA. First and formorst, I don't own an FZ1, but I will within the next 4-6 months :)

A little about me, I'm a gear head through and through and I've always wanted a bike, and this year coming up will be when I can finally get one.

Reasons for wanting an FZ1:

- I have an hour ride to work, want something comfortable.

- still want street bike style and power

- Afordable (unlike a Harley.. Which isn't as good looking and slower)

My neighbor turned me onto these bikes (he owns a 2009 FZ1 with a few mods)

Neighbors bike:

0BF38F3B-8C91-46EA-AFF0-CD64D5D84A2A-48196-00002383812FCA02.jpg

His mods:
Euro headlight kit, tail light intagrater, powdercoated pegs and triple trees, exaust wrapped the headers, no mirrors or blinkers, gutted the cat, air box mod, Power commander, carbon fiber pipe, ASI block off plates.

I'm here to read, learn, and maybe even meet some of the guys in my area.

Not that is maters, but I also have a 2004 GTO, mods in sig. Pics to come of that.

Cheers ! :cheers:

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Have you owned a bike before or is this FZ1 going to be your first?

I'm a big fan of those newer GTOs, cool cars. I like the fact they really just transplanted the Aussie car into North America without ruining it like they usually do

Is your neighbour on this forum? I dig the blacked-out look :)

Welcome to the forum! Have you owned a bike before or is this FZ1 going to be your first?

I'm a big fan of those newer GTOs, cool cars. I like the fact they really just transplanted the Aussie car into North America without ruining it like they usually do

Is your neighbour on this forum? I dig the blacked-out look :)

I've never owned a bike before, but when I get the chance, I used to ride my buddies R6 around town and whenever he would let me. I've owned dirt bikes and atv's before too. I liked the R6 plenty of power awesome handling, and fun to ride... For about 45 min.

I don't think my neighbor is on the forum, would be funny if he was and saw this haha. I love the way his bike looks, I believe he is doing the wheels black this winter too :)

Love my GTO, very comfortable, awesome power plant, interior, and styling. Only complaint is the drivetrain.. Wheel hop and have broken two driveshafts lol.

You're 23, you like fast vehicles, you've never owned a motorcycle (have some dirt experience and some R6 experience) and you want FZ1 to be your first bike?

A bike which gets to 60 in 3.3 seconds, 100 in 6.7 seconds, does a 1/4 mile in 10.7 seconds...

If you had asked if FZ1 was a good bike to start on, I'd say NO WAY IN HELL.. but surprisingly some people on the forum feel it's a fine starter (based on at least one other thread where poster asked just that). Most people with lots of sport / sport-touring riding experience believe that 600cc is too much for most to start on. Of course.. you didn't ask the question, so feel free to ignore this.

Do you have a motorcycle license?

Please, at very least, get good gear (FULL gear) and wear it every time you ride.

Last edited:
You're 23, you like fast vehicles, you've never owned a motorcycle (have some dirt experience and some R6 experience) and you want FZ1 to be your first bike?

A bike which gets to 60 in 3.3 seconds, 100 in 6.7 seconds, does a 1/4 mile in 10.7 seconds...

If you had asked if FZ1 was a good bike to start on, I'd say NO WAY IN HELL.. but surprisingly some people on the forum feel it's a fine starter (based on at least one other thread where poster asked just that). Most people with lots of sport / sport-touring riding experience believe that 600cc is too much for most to start on. Of course.. you didn't ask the question, so feel free to ignore this.

Please, at very least, get good gear (FULL gear) and wear it every time you ride.

^ This ^

Welcome and it is always a good idea to take the MSF class first.

FZ1 is a lot of bike. If you're familliar with bikes and can control yourself, the handling is predictable anough for it to be a first stret bike. There is a lot of power on tap, though, and if you aren't experienced/respinsible enough to undestand how to modulate it, the bike will gat away from you and you'll be in over your head before you can help yourself. The bike can hit some pretty scary speeds with ease. Welcome, be careful, and have fun!

Im gonna add to the above. You rode an R6. Whole differet animal. While the R6 and the FZ1 are very similar as power to weight the R6 doesnt make near the low end grunt the FZ1 does. It will be easy to grab too much go and end up rubber side up!

Just depends on the person I suppose. My FZ is my first Street bike, and my previous experience was in the dirt as a teen and early 20's. I had not ridden any motorcycle in well over 5 years before I rode my FZ home. I have been riding her as a commuter for over a year now. I am a decade older however and have less tendency to do something stupid on the thing, but it is possible to own one as your first bike and not kill yourself.

My advice to the OP is to take it easy, very very easy and take some classes of some sort, get ALL the right gear and wear it all the time.

I almost bought a GTO, but ended up with an STI instead.

it is possible to own FZ1 as your first bike and not kill yourself.

Agree, but the odds are not in your favor. Why not start on something more forgiving? FZ6, for instance, is way faster than GTO (and is still too much bike for many to start on).

Glad it worked out well for you and you're still with us :D

Im gonna add to the above. You rode an R6. Whole differet animal. While the R6 and the FZ1 are very similar as power to weight the R6 doesnt make near the low end grunt the FZ1 does. It will be easy to grab too much go and end up rubber side up!

Sweet car.

Thanks man.

^ This ^

Welcome and it is always a good idea to take the MSF class first.

FZ1 is a lot of bike. If you're familliar with bikes and can control yourself, the handling is predictable anough for it to be a first stret bike. There is a lot of power on tap, though, and if you aren't experienced/respinsible enough to undestand how to modulate it, the bike will gat away from you and you'll be in over your head before you can help yourself. The bike can hit some pretty scary speeds with ease. Welcome, be careful, and have fun!

I agree with all of you, and I do understand the FZ1 is a lot of bike, and I repsect it 110 %. I have my permit, will be taking the safety course and plan on getting my full license in the spring.

I do enjoy fast cars and going fast in mine, believe me or not, I do not ride a bike they way I drive my car. I will also be getting full riding gear just to be extra safe.

I am open to any criticism and riding tips, but the first thing I will be doing is not full throttle runs and wheelies down the road.

Just depends on the person I suppose. My FZ is my first Street bike, and my previous experience was in the dirt as a teen and early 20's. I had not ridden any motorcycle in well over 5 years before I rode my FZ home. I have been riding her as a commuter for over a year now. I am a decade older however and have less tendency to do something stupid on the thing, but it is possible to own one as your first bike and not kill yourself.

My advice to the OP is to take it easy, very very easy and take some classes of some sort, get ALL the right gear and wear it all the time.

I almost bought a GTO, but ended up with an STI instead.

Agreed, it all depends on how agressive you ride, just ask my buddy, been through two bikes in two years... congrats on the STI, i almost got one of those too.

Agree, but the odds are not in your favor. Why not start on something more forgiving? FZ6, for instance, is way faster than GTO (and is still too much bike for many to start on).

Glad it worked out well for you and you're still with us :D

I'll agree with the FZ6 being faster than my GTO...in the quarter, i can keep up with 600s on the highway, I raced my buddies 06 GSXR600 from about 70-155 and I was ahead by a bike length. Probably shouldn't of happened that way, but for whatever reason at that time, that day, I beat him lol.

I will probably never hear the end of getting a 998cc for my first bike and how im going to be irresponsible with it and that I'm going to crash it doing something stupid. I can honestly say that I respect the motorcycle, and plan on keeping the front tire on the ground.

Ready for the responses :popcorn:

Agreed, it all depends on how agressive you ride, just ask my buddy, been through two bikes in two years... congrats on the STI, i almost got one of those too.

I'll agree with the FZ6 being faster than my GTO...in the quarter, i can keep up with 600s on the highway, I raced my buddies 06 GSXR600 from about 70-155 and I was ahead by a bike length. Probably shouldn't of happened that way, but for whatever reason at that time, that day, I beat him lol.

I will probably never hear the end of getting a 998cc for my first bike and how im going to be irresponsible with it and that I'm going to crash it doing something stupid. I can honestly say that I respect the motorcycle, and plan on keeping the front tire on the ground.

Ready for the responses :popcorn:

Good luck with that!

well for one thing he has seven years on me from when i got my fz1 and i've never crashed mine. i was 16 when i got mine 80000 miles ago that being said i wish i had gotten something smaller like my bandit to start on... or not
just don't judge by age. i'm only 21. not all young people are idiots, just alot of them

Where I live we are restricted to a low power to weight ratio bike while on our learners permit and for the first year of our bike license.

To get your learners permit you must pass a two day training course with a practical test at the end, then you have to go back and pass another half day riding course to get off your learners and onto your bike licence. one year from the date you gain your bike license you can apply to have the restriction removed and buy a more powerful bike.

There is a learner approved motorcycle (LAMs) list that the government puts out that you must choose your first bike from. After that it is open slather.

I started on a Honda CT110 which was a second hand postie bike, then stepped up from there.

What bugs me is that you only need a car license to ride a scooter up to 50cc & those riders have no idea of the dangers they put themselves and other road users in. They are thankfully looking at changing that law here soon.

Good luck with the FZ1, if you respect it and take it easy, you will love it, but it is a hell of a lot of bike.

well for one thing he has seven years on me from when i got my fz1 and i've never crashed mine. i was 16 when i got mine 80000 miles ago that being said i wish i had gotten something smaller like my bandit to start on... or not
just don't judge by age. i'm only 21. not all young people are idiots, just alot of them

Amen. God Speed.

Back