Bike Broken (3rd Gear Knocking)

Speed4341

:doh2:

My bike is broken. It was driving perfectly fine to and from work today but this afternoon after leaving a friends house it started knocking terribly. Only does it in third gear. Knocks whether the engine is loaded or not (accelerating and decelerating). The bike was purchased brand new in February and now has 4600 miles on it so luckily it is still under warranty. Bike is a 2010 Yamaha FZ1. Any ideas what my problem may be? Broken 3rd gear in transmission maybe? Dealer is starting the warranty and tear down process tomorrow so I should know within a few days I guess. THIS SUCKS. :'( Ill be without a bike for at least 2 weeks.

Also the bike is primarily a commuter for work. Never abused (tracked, wheelied, etc)

Are there any recalls that may be related to this. Has anyone had this happen before?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Did it sound like this?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ8MvnEVCqM]Can't You Hear Me Knockin' - YouTube[/ame]
watch

Update: Yamaha has authorized my dealer to start the tear down process. Ill know more about what happened soon.

Glad to hear that you're getting it covered under warranty. I'm curious to find out what the problem was.

By the way I have moved the thread to the Gen II section as you previously requested.

Dealer just called me about my motorcycle. Somehow a tooth broke off of my third gear and caused some other internal damage. Im getting new transmission internals and shift forks under warranty. Thank God for that.

It still baffles me how I was able to break a gear unless there was a problem with the manufacturing of said gear. Bike is stock and rarely gets ridden aggressively. Oh well at least this won't cost me anything.

Sad part is that ill be without a bike for about 3 weeks (parts take forever to ship). Anyone wanna loan me a bike? I just wanna ride!

Dealer just called me about my motorcycle. Somehow a tooth broke off of my third gear and caused some other internal damage. Im getting new transmission internals and shift forks under warranty. Thank God for that.

It still baffles me how I was able to break a gear unless there was a problem with the manufacturing of said gear. Bike is stock and rarely gets ridden aggressively. Oh well at least this won't cost me anything.

Sad part is that ill be without a bike for about 3 weeks (parts take forever to ship). Anyone wanna loan me a bike? I just wanna ride!

Have you asked for a loaner from yamaha?

Zach

Very rare occurence and I suspect it was a metallurgical flaw which is why it happened so early in it's life. At least you are covered under the warranty. About all you can do is hang on and wait for the repairs to be completed. I'd ask for an extension on the warranty so if this problem happens again (not likely) eight months from now you won't be stuck.

Although loaner bikes are not common it might be worth asking if they have a bike they can loan out while your's is being fixed. They'll probably say no but you can throw a bit of pressure on them to get your bike done asap and not let it sit around. Sometimes the part arrives and they don't get to it right away.

Last edited:
Very rare occurence and I suspect it was a metallurgical flaw which is why it happened so early in it's life. At least you are covered under the warranty. About all you can do is hang on and wait for the repairs to be completed. I'd ask for an extension on the warranty so if this problem happens again (not likely) eight months from now you won't be stuck.

Although loaner bikes are not common it might be worth asking if they have a bike they can loan out while your's is being fixed. They'll probably say no but you can throw a bit of pressure on them to get your bike done asap and not let it sit around. Sometimes the part arrives and they don't get to it right away.

i actually bought the extended protection when I bought the bike. I have a total of 3 years coverage

Back