Rear Hugger Refab

Thanks to NJFZ1's good eyes, I was able to score a Pyramid Rear Hugger for only $55.00 bucks! Thanks Tony! In the ad it was supposedly redone with new paint and cleared with some Ultra something or other. Needless to say I am redoing it as well. The paint was nice like they said but it had imperfections that they never bothered to sand down or fill. I'm not complaining because of the price. I scrubbed it down with scotch brite to knock down the clear. I then went with some fine paper to remove the rough finish. I mixed up a batch of bondo and filled the two areas that needed repair, one that is not visible and one that it. I figured I may as well do it right. Once the bondo cured I used the orbital sander to knock down the bondo using a 220grit pad. I followed that with a 360grit, and finished it up with 1000grit wet/dry to smooth everything out again. Just one hours work and all the dimpling is gone and she's as smooth as a babie's bottom. It's too humid today to shoot any primer, so I'll wait til tomorrow. Here's some shots of the progress......

After scotch brite.......
006-6.jpg

Scotch brite plus a coat of bondo.....
001-6.jpg

After sanding the bondo and smoothing the surface ready for primer.....
004-4.jpg

Looking good so far. I was going to ask you what was going on with the hugger since you hadn't posted about it. I'm sure it's going to turn out great.

Well, I had already watched both AMA races so I was sitting here doing nothing so I said what the heck, let me get down to the garage. The humidity was down to about 81% from 92% before so I went down and shot two coats of primer. It's hard to wait when you have nothing to do. Here's some updated photos. Thanks Tony. I actually didn't even get it until yesterday. The guy waited a week to ship it out to me. It's all smoothed and primed and ready for some Krylon Fusion. Not sure if I want to go matte or gloss black. Any suggestions??

014-1.jpg

013-1.jpg

012.jpg

I am going to wait for the primer to set and then lightly sand it with some 1000 grit cloth to remove a couple of tiny raised specs of primer. Should be good to go after that.

click edit options -- then click resize and it give you preset options or the ability to do custom sizes...15" screen selected below

012.jpg

Last edited:
And if you happen to load it from a website -- and select URL -- it will give you some standards sizes to save the image right above the upload button....

I learned something to with this experiment....

Looking good -- just hope you have the patience for the color....

And if you happen to load it from a website -- and select URL -- it will give you some standards sizes to save the image right above the upload button....

I learned something to with this experiment....

Looking good -- just hope you have the patience for the color....

Thanks Adam, I just talked with my son and he's adamant about going with the Gloss Black. I think he's right about that. It will be a better fit with the rest of the bike. We sell the Krylon Fusion at work and I've used it before on fiberglass. It really adheres to plastic and fiberglass with a vengeance and is very good against the elements.

Damned fine work Billy! I agree on the gloss black too for fit and finish to your bike. It'll be nice to see that all mounted... do a before and after shot on the spot. :cool:

so.... what're you gonna spray it with? PPG? ColorRite? House of Kolor? just wondering.... I'm thinking of doing the whole bike....

None of the above. I'm going with Krylon Fusion Glossy Black. Only because it's a piece that will have it's share of run-ins with pebbles, road debris, etc. so I'm not gonna spend an arm and a leg with paint. I've used the Fusion line before and it's beyond excellent when it comes to Fiberglass or plastics.

This coming Winter will be a different story however. I am planning on doing the rest of the bike. I'd like to go black again but this time with a quality paint thats not 2 coats thin as my paint is now. I saw a bike at the last bike night with seven coats of base color and three coats of clear. The difference is amazing when it comes to finish.

Thanks Adam, I just talked with my son and he's adamant about going with the Gloss Black. I think he's right about that. It will be a better fit with the rest of the bike. We sell the Krylon Fusion at work and I've used it before on fiberglass. It really adheres to plastic and fiberglass with a vengeance and is very good against the elements.

I'd go with the gloss black as well. It will definitely flow better with the rest of the bike.

Came home this evening and immediately went to the garage after seeing the humidity at 67%. I shot the hugger with one light coat and two heavy coats of black. I'll give it until tomorrow and bring it back upstairs to wet sand. Then Wednesday I'll shoot a few coats of clear. It's coming along, I just hate having to wait to install it on the bike. Hopefully it will be ready for the weekend. Here's a couple of pics. It's hard to see because of my crappy camera. I really need to upgrade.

004-5.jpg

003-6.jpg

what are you using for your spraycan clear??

do ya think it would work on Carbon Fiber?? (anything to save a buck these days....)

Adam

Back