Awaiting delivery of my 06 Fz1 what mods should i look at?

I road an 05 over the weekend and loved it but decided to get an 06 since i wanted the lighter and fi bike. Now i come here and find out about the problem with the FCE.

i searched the forum and was trying to decide a list of mods and which priority should i do them in.

I'm decent with a wrench and wires. Can someone list about 5 mods that are a must and how much each one cost?

I'm thinking
frame sliders and tank guard
fce
kn air filter?

Thanks,
Sid

I road an 05 over the weekend and loved it but decided to get an 06 since i wanted the lighter and fi bike. Now i come here and find out about the problem with the FCE.

i searched the forum and was trying to decide a list of mods and which priority should i do them in.

I'm decent with a wrench and wires. Can someone list about 5 mods that are a must and how much each one cost?

I'm thinking
frame sliders and tank guard
fce
kn air filter?

Thanks,
Sid

Hi Sid,

I woul'd put PCIII first to eliminate the throttle problem. All other mods are Luxury and up to your pocket.
I personally would prefer to put the extra money on 07' model stock and not 06 model and spend more on mods, but this is me.

as the exhaust has been referred to as the "cannon" -- I'd dump that puppy of the starboard side and go with someting aftermarket.....clean up the lines and get rid of some dead weight...

Adam

#1 FCE - PCIII will not cure throttle problems. $200
#2 PCII/PC-V - Allows for custom mapping for future mods $200-$250
#3 Gut Cats - Free
#4 Zip Flies / Smaller subthrottle plates - Free for zipping, ~$100 for subthrottle plates
#5 Exhaust - Gets rid of 1 cat and EXUP valve $300-$800 depending on what you want
while we're at it
#6 Remove AIS - Free
#7 Airbox Mod - Free
#8 Custom Mapping for your mods - Free from downloadable map-pack
#9 Sprocket Change - Livens up bike's low-end and gets rid of top end that you'll never use/be able to get to. 16/47 or just a 15T up front... $30 for just front, $100 for front and rear change.
#10 RIDE IT!

FCE: $195
PC III: $200 - $300
Sub-Throttle Plates: Zip tie (free) / Ivan's plates $75
Exhaust: $400 - $450 (Slip-on ) / $1000 - $1400 (Full)
**AIS Block-off: $5 - $10 (with hose clamps) / $25 - $35 (for a kit)
Airbox Mod: Free

**If you change exhaust this is a must or you will get backfiring/popping on deceleration**

My personal list:

#1 FCE - $195

#2 Air Box Mod w/ BMC Filter - $70

#3 PC III or V - ~$275 - Unless you're also going to run the DJ Ignition Module I would go for the PC V. The Ignition Module is not out of the PC V yet, but I am sure it's coming. The PC V has more features and it's about half the size of the PC III. Definitely easier to mount on our bikes that have very little space under the seats.

#4 Yoshisura R-77 SS Full Exhaust - ~$575 shipped on eBay. This will save you the trouble of having to gut the cat in the stock header and you'll get a nice boost in midrange power over the stock header.

#5 AIS - ~$35-40 for a kit which removes the whole thing or you can just plug the hose coming in to the airbox for free. No extra power, but if not done you'll get a lot of popping on deceleration with the aftermarket exhaust.

Have fun modifying. Remember once you start you wont be able to stop :lol:

Last edited:
My personal list:

#5 AIS - ~$35-40 for a kit which removes the whole thing or you can just plug the hose coming in to the airbox for free. No extra power, but if not done you'll get a lot of popping on deceleration with the aftermarket exhaust.

Have fun modifying. Remember once you start you wont be able to stop :lol:

i see this mod a lot but does anyone have a write up on how to do this like the fce write up?

thanks for all the advice.... i can't wait!!!

FCE: $195
PC III: $200 - $300
Sub-Throttle Plates: Zip tie (free) / Ivan's plates $75
Exhaust: $400 - $450 (Slip-on ) / $1000 - $1400 (Full)
**AIS Block-off: $5 - $10 (with hose clamps) / $25 - $35 (for a kit)
Airbox Mod: Free

**If you change exhaust this is a must or you will get backfiring/popping on deceleration**

i see the zip tie mod and can't find a write up if someone can point me to a write up that would be great!!!

i see the zip tie mod and can't find a write up if someone can point me to a write up that would be great!!!

There might be one on another forum. Have not seen one here. This is not a mod to do unless you're also doing the PC III or V. Also if doing the FCE this may not be necessary. I know others may have a different opinion, but one of the things that the FCE does is open the sub-throttle plates quicker than the stock ECU.

i see this mod a lot but does anyone have a write up on how to do this like the fce write up?

thanks for all the advice.... i can't wait!!!

I am sure there's a write up somewhere. Well if you buy a kit from Ivan or Graves I am sure it will come with instructions. If you want to go the "free" route it involves plugging the hose that comes into the airbox. Most people put a marble in it and then secure the hose with a clamp.

The main advantage of the "kit" is that it allows you to remove all of the hardware associated with the AIS system.

And just so you know which hose I am talking about I've attached a picture from my bike. It's the hose that connects to the airbox on the left side of the airbox. I've circled it in red :). You can see the top of the nipple in this picture. You would be plugging it from underneath:

IMG_0771-1.jpg

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/steeringdamperinstallation.html

thanks for the picture. i found the website above and it has so much information on there.

My only dilemma now is i have warranty on the bike till july of next year so i have to becareful of what i can get away without voiding the warranty. I sounds like from everyone i need to get the FCE. I guess i can try to do a stealth install via soldering everything. I won't be able to do gut header move or airbox yet....

So what is the consensus on what you can get away without buying a PC? I know in honda and toyota's that the ECU will modify injector duty cycle depending on the o2 sensor feedback in conjunction with the maf sensor. I'm not sure what the yamaha's do. I was thinking exhaust and intake wouldn't be a problem but from after coming here it sounds like it is a problem.

Thanks,
Sid

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/steeringdamperinstallation.html

thanks for the picture. i found the website above and it has so much information on there.

My only dilemma now is i have warranty on the bike till july of next year so i have to becareful of what i can get away without voiding the warranty. I sounds like from everyone i need to get the FCE. I guess i can try to do a stealth install via soldering everything. I won't be able to do gut header move or airbox yet....

So what is the consensus on what you can get away without buying a PC? I know in honda and toyota's that the ECU will modify injector duty cycle depending on the o2 sensor feedback in conjunction with the maf sensor. I'm not sure what the yamaha's do. I was thinking exhaust and intake wouldn't be a problem but from after coming here it sounds like it is a problem.

Thanks,
Sid

Well if you're worried about the warranty then all I would do for now would be a slip-on muffler. Wont void your warranty and will get rid of one of the cats. You'll get a 3-5 HP boost in the process, not to mention that you'll lose about 10 lbs. That stock muffler is heavy! Don't bother with an aftermarket filter unless you're doing the airbox mod.

As for needing a PC. I would say anything beyond a slip-on and airbox mod you'll need it...

I am sure there's a write up somewhere. Well if you buy a kit from Ivan or Graves I am sure it will come with instructions. If you want to go the \"free\" route it involves plugging the hose that comes into the airbox. Most people put a marble in it and then secure the hose with a clamp.

The main advantage of the \"kit\" is that it allows you to remove all of the hardware associated with the AIS system.

And just so you know which hose I am talking about I've attached a picture from my bike. It's the hose that connects to the airbox on the left side of the airbox. I've circled it in red :). You can see the top of the nipple in this picture. You would be plugging it from underneath:

IMG_0771-1.jpg

Did the Graves Velocity stacks make a noticeable difference?

Can't really tell since I pretty much did all my mods at one. I picked them up for a bargain price so I figured I'd throw them on there. Last night was the first time I rode the bike with all the mods and I didn't really get a chance to push it too much. There was just a lot of traffic everywhere I went.

i called ivan today and they said to go with a slip on and bust them cats out. They said not to do anything with the intake unless i got a PC.

bike is coming in on wed. and i'll have plugs, air filter, ais, oil, coolant changed soon after and the FCE ordered next week.

So if i do the FCE i don't have to worry about zip ties butterflies?

I'll have to hold off on the exhaust for now.... Too bad none makes a small exhaust that exits under the bike or under the tail.

THanks,
SId

So if i do the FCE i don't have to worry about zip ties butterflies?

Do not zip tie the butterflies on a stock bike. You'll just end up with a bog. The FCE will open the butteflies sooner anyway so you'll notice a nice boost in midrange power along with getting rid on the throttle snatch.

Do not zip tie the butterflies on a stock bike. You'll just end up with a bog. The FCE will open the butteflies sooner anyway so you'll notice a nice boost in midrange power along with getting rid on the throttle snatch.

is it worth decatting the header if i don't have an exhaust? i spoke with ivan and they said fce is good enough for most exhaust mods.

i would love to have an rear seat exiting exhaust ;)

is it worth decatting the header if i don't have an exhaust? i spoke with ivan and they said fce is good enough for most exhaust mods.

i would love to have an rear seat exiting exhaust ;)

Probably not worth it with the stock muffler still on there. FCE is not going to add any additional fuel so if you go the full exhaust route you will need PC III or V. Dale Walker makes a high mount exhaust. Here's a pic from his site.:

06hpb_full1.jpg

Probably not worth it with the stock muffler still on there. FCE is not going to add any additional fuel so if you go the full exhaust route you will need PC III or V. Dale Walker makes a high mount exhaust. Here's a pic from his site.:

06hpb_full1.jpg

thanks for the pic. i saw that yesterday. For the price, i'm thinking two brother slip on al. exhaust.

can someone tell me which ais kit is better ?

tpo from ebay for $19.99
holeshot for 49.99
ivan for 30.

I was thinking of holeshot since no tapping is needed but is the TPO the same thing?

Thanks,
Sid

Back