a different shock upgrade for the gen1

stretch

I’ve discovered an alternative to the popular R6 shock as an upgrade for the GEN1.
After seeing pictures of the rear suspension on the new all concurring BMW S1000RR, I suspected it may make a good choice.
I watched eBay for several months before I finally scored a new Zero mile shock for $26 delivered.
On the upside The damping is reportedly exceptional. On the S1000RR forum most of the racers recommend putting money and time into the forks first because the stock shock is so good.
Clearance will not be an issue with the gen 1 FZ1 like the R6 shock, so no clearanceing with a dremel will be required. It also feels even lighter then the R6 shock (already a light shock) I'll measure it tonight to confirm this.
Best of all the lengths are nearly identical so the shorter dog banes will not be required. The BMW shock is less then ¼” longer (R6 shock is ½” too short), so installing it with the factory dog bones will cause a slight raise at the tail (desirable for all except the vertically challenged) slightly greater cornering clearance and a little lighter steering. Also you avoid the changes to the geometry of the progressive raising rate linkage (and possible limited suspension travel) caused by the shorter dog bones required for the R6 shock mod. This problem increases if even shorter dog bones were used to provide the kind of rise at the rear the BMW shock obtains with factory length dog bones installed.
Unfortunately the spring rate while higher than the stock FZ1 spring is lower than the R6, falling almost exactly between the 2. I cannot yet say how this shock will respond to a respring, but I have no doubt I will try and let y’all know. Unfortunately I just installed a newly resprung 2012 R6 shock on my bike so it may be a while before I get around to road testing this new shock.
The mounting holes will still require drilling to fit the larger FZ1 bolts, but this should not present a problem. Of course it also includes the now comon high speed compression adjustment, as well as a threaded preload adjustment that I prefer to the ramp style.
Right now I just enjoy looking at this shock, it is a work of art, with the quality numbered adjusters that look as though the belong on an expensive aftermarket shock and gold anodized parts I just don’t want to get it dirty.
shock1.jpg

Last edited:
Good eye and I hope it works out. You might be able to get a new spring from one of several companies out there that better suits your weight and riding style. These aren't a huge dent in the wallet.

Sounds like it could be a great upgrade for the Gen I crowd. Too bad you don't have a riding impression of it yet...

If it rains all weekend like the forcast says it will I may go ahead and swap it out. However if the sun peeks out I will be riding.

Good eye and I hope it works out. You might be able to get a new spring from one of several companies out there that better suits your weight and riding style. These aren't a huge dent in the wallet.

True. I also have a dozen or so springs in different lengths, diamiters, and spring rates from different bike shocks I've colected over the years. one of which may work.
here's a close up of the compression adjustments. I like how they numbered them so I don't have to count, and remember the number of clicks. The rebound adjustment is the same

shock3.jpg

Last edited:
shock weight

will do.

I just weighed the BMW shock on our calibrated shipping scales here at work.
exactly 5.25lbs this is 0.1lbs heavier then the R6 shock, but several pounds lighter then the stock FZ1 shock.

Last edited:
test fit the new shock tonight. plenty of clearance. As expected there is a rise at the rear wheel but nothing extreme. still plenty of tire clearance when using the center stand.

in other news I read today that the 2012 S1000RR shock is 4mm shorter. This would make it closer to the length of the stock Gen1 shock.
testfit.jpg

Last edited:
now to find a spring rate/length that works well with this bike shock combo.

For the record I have no intrest in selling "shock kits" all information in this thread is for the entertainment of my fellow FZ1 riders.
springs.jpg

Nice work Mike. Let us know the differences you feel between the stock unit and the new shock.
even with the stock BMW spring it is an improvement over the stock FZ1 shock. I found The Stock spring too soft for my liking , as was the 9.8kg/mm R6 spring (also too short).

This weekend I experimented with different spring rates, and For solo riding with no luggage The 12kg/mm CBR1000RR spring is perfect (also the exact dimensions of the BMW spring). Not to mention the best looking (yellow).
This is the spring I would recommend for most riders. There is a large adjustment range in the damping. each number change is equal to about 2-3 clicks on most shocks. I found an 8 on the rebound a good setting for my 12kg.mm spring. this spring should be installed with all the original BMW parts. So far this is my favorite. With this set up I felt this shock was the best I have tried so far on a gen1. This includes a revalved/resprung stock shock, a quality aftermarket (not my bike) and 2 R6 shocks with different spring rates.

I am currently experimenting with a 13kg/mm spring from a Hayabusa. this is also a longer spring and as such required the removal of the plastic guard (also acts as a spacer under the spring) and the use of a R6 spring perch (lowers the spring another 1/8") This spring may be better for those who are very heavy, ride 2 up most of the time, are very aggressive large riders, or carry heavy luggage all of the time. With these modifications proper sag can be dialed in with the Busa spring for nearly any rider weight.

If your memory is as bad as mine, and you spend much time fiddling with damping settings you'll find the numbered settings absolutely brilliant.

The same size washers used for the R6 install 2-2.5mm thick can be used for the S1000RR shock install. The large BMW bushings makes gluing them in place easy.

When I have the spring off next I intend to compare rear wheel movement between stock shock, the BMW shock, and the R6 shock with 127mm dog bones. If I am correct the shorter dog bones have a negative effect on rear wheel travel. Effectively requiring more shock movement for less wheel movement. This would explain the changes in Sag #s by simple dog bone length changes, as well as why a 9.8kg/mm spring feels so much softer when full length dog bones are used. At this point this is still speculation. I will post again when I have hard numbers.

Until then here’s a pic. Of the BMW shock with the sexy yellow spring installed.
BMWshock1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the writeup Mike. Yes, the shock does look nice, and I like the fact that the clickers are numbered which makes it easy to make your settings without having to back it out to the end and then start counting clicks. Thats annoying!

I did a bit of measuring today.
The BMW shock with stock FZ1 dog bones raises the rear (measured at the axle) 20mm
Rear wheel suspension travel of the BMW shock (measured at the axle) is 8mm less than the stock FZ1
Rear wheel suspension travel of the R6 shock with 127mm dog bones (measured at the axle) is 12mm less than stock. 4mm less than the BMW shock with FZ1 dog bones. This loss of suspension travel will be reduced by the use of longer dog bones. 127mm dog bones were chosen for this test because they provide a similar ride height to the BMW shock.
Reducing the length of the dog bones has a small but measureable effect on total suspension travel by changing the geometry of the rising rate linkage. It stands to reason that longer than stock dog bones would have an opposite effect.
The R6 shock with shorter dog bones is a significant improvement over the stock shock. I do not mean to imply that it is not. I provide this information for comparison purposes between the only 2 known shock swaps available to date. The feedback from these different setups is different and somewhat subjective. One person may favor one shock over the other. The R6 shocks are certainly more plentiful. I believe I will use the BMW shock at this time.
I am still going bac and forth between my 12kg/mm spring and my 13kg/mm spring. (670 & 725 LB/IN)

Last edited:
for those interested I have installed 150mm dogbones and they did restore stock ride height with the BMW shock. I however will be sticking with the 146mm dogbones I got from a 99 GSXR750. (I believe SV650s use a similar length)They provide about a 1cm rise at the rear which ever so slightly quickens steering and fractionaly increases cornering clearence with no loss in rider comfort.
The ratio of ride height to dogbone length with this shock is only about 2.6:1
Dogbone length has only a minimal effect on sag at these lengths. My sag only changed 3mm from stock 142mm dogbones to 150mm dogbones.

for those interested I have installed 150mm dogbones and they did restore stock ride height with the BMW shock.

I have a shock on the way and I am looking forward to installing it. 150mm is exactly the dogbone length that I calculated for stock height, based on your earlier numbers. I have to keep the stock height, because of short legs, but I do get the improved cornering by raising the forks. How do you think the beemer shock with the stock spring will compare with my R6 shock for a 195 lb rider? Most of the comments on the S1000RR forum indicate that it is OK for the average rider. I am at the high end of the average range for sure.

I always wanted Ohlins shock, but could not efford new one.

This one comes from Aprilia RSV Mille R,2002. Usually not so expensive and rare as one made specially for FZ. It is rebuildable, as all Ohlins products. So I had it serviced, extended to suit Fazer.
Rear brake fluid reservoir needs a bit of re-locating, but other than that fits nicely.

How do you think the beemer shock with the stock spring will compare with my R6 shock for a 195 lb rider? .

Stock I found the BMW spring a bit soft (although a higher rate than stock) I am about 50lbs heavier than you, and cary heavy luggage. There is a report on the other FZ1 forum of a lighter rider who has installed the BMW shock stock and likes it, but still plands to upgrade to the CBR spring as soon as possible.
With the CBR spring installed I prefered the BMW shock to the R6 shock I removed to install it.
I always wanted Ohlins shock, but could not efford new one.

This one comes from Aprilia RSV Mille R,2002. Usually not so expensive and rare as one made specially for FZ. It is rebuildable, as all Ohlins products. So I had it serviced, extended to suit Fazer.
Rear brake fluid reservoir needs a bit of re-locating, but other than that fits nicely.

very nice

Back