Close Call This Morning!

So I get to work at the usual time this morning. I walk inside and the boss isn't there yet, only my buddy Sal. So we start opening up the yard as we do all the time. I had to go into the back room of the store to turn on our Halloween Blow-ups in the store window. As I reach the door handle I look at the door and what is just hanging there...........A Friggin Black Widow Spider!!! Yes!, that's right! A Black Widow in all her glory just as I have seen them in books and on TV.

So we called the Bronx Zoo and as usual, nobody gives a damn! Outstanding!! The woman on the phone says she only has numbers for "furry animals" and "reptiles". I was like....Whatever! So she will be going home with me today. I will post pictures this afternoon when I get home.

I find those all the time, I try not to disturb them and they do the same for me. :) Doing electrical work you have to be REAL careful sticking your hand in holes and j boxes that you can't see clearly in!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only a Black Widow? We deal with them all the time (own a Pest Control Business) any bug spray will take her out OR the bottom of your shoe is the best pest control for instant results. I've been told WD40 does a nice job on them too!

Only a Black Widow? We deal with them all the time (own a Pest Control Business) any bug spray will take her out OR the bottom of your shoe is the best pest control for instant results. I've been told WD40 does a nice job on them too!

I guess if I was around them all the time I would have "disposed" of it already, but we don't have these here and in fact it's the first one I've ever seen in all my 49 years. I'm going to bring it home and see if I can make a nice tararium for it. I bet I'm the only one in the Bronx that has one!

Billy you got me spooked on the title. I'ts been a while I've been on here and notice this thread....luckily only a black widow spider...

Seems I missed out some stuff...you're bikeless?

Billy you got me spooked on the title. I'ts been a while I've been on here and notice this thread....luckily only a black widow spider...

Seems I missed out some stuff...you're bikeless?

Yeah buddy, I'm bikeless until Springtime. I had some much more important things to take care of first. It's okay though. Priorities you know!

yeah i know. I'm glad I've been able to hang on to my bikes....but can appreciate it's not always easy and if push comes to shuff, they'll the first to go if really needed...all the best in your priorities Billy and hope soon to see you again on a bike

I guess if I was around them all the time I would have "disposed" of it already, but we don't have these here and in fact it's the first one I've ever seen in all my 49 years. I'm going to bring it home and see if I can make a nice tararium for it. I bet I'm the only one in the Bronx that has one!

You must be lonely Billy, thinking about shacking up with that kind of widow. I used to run into them all the time in boxes of grapes from South America. I even saw one up close in the interior of British Columbia while tenting in 2010. My riding boot took care of it no problem.

Does she look like this? Northern Black Widow...

645TN.jpg

Exactly like that Eric. I'm going to snap some photos when I get home. I'm wondering how to get food for her?? Maybe they have that in pet stores?

Small children will suffice.

:jaw drop:

My dad once caught one and put it in the terrarium with our blue belly lizards, they immediately buried themselves in the sand and knew ot avoid the vile creature. Not sure why my dad thought the lizards would try to eat it.

RE: Spider !

Hey Billy ! LOVE your newest avatar ! You look good with HAIR !! (heh,heh,heh)

I have never seen a 'black widow' up close, but, I did see my first 'brown recluse' spider last summer ! They are nasty looking !

I have never seen a 'black widow' up close, but, I did see my first 'brown recluse' spider last summer ! They are nasty looking !

Be extra careful around the recluse, those things are a bit more dangerous than the widow.

A man I used to work for was bit by a Brown Recluse once and nearly lost his hand, the poison spreads very fast.

They are carnivores so you will need to get her something live and ready to trap/eat. The per store should know what to give to her. You can always start with some crickets.

Be extra careful around the recluse, those things are a bit more dangerous than the widow.

A man I used to work for was bit by a Brown Recluse once and nearly lost his hand, the poison spreads very fast.

Very true! Their venom rots your flesh and spreads fast! I'd take a black widow over the brown recluse any day!

Very true! Their venom rots your flesh and spreads fast! I'd take a black widow over the brown recluse any day!

Thanks Eric. I have her home now but after doing some research online, it may be illegal to have one as a pet. I'll have to find out from the pet store tomorrow.

Anyway, here she is.......

IMG_2383.jpg

And here's a close up. You can just about make out her hourglass red spot.

IMG_238333.jpg

If she ever turns over in the web I'll get a real nice shot of her.

Back