FZ1 Weird Idle

Hi everyone,

This is my first post so go easy on me

Anyways this has been bugging me for quite sometime so I figured I'd finally make a thread about it.

When I start my 2009 FZ1 it has a really rough idle and sometimes it will even die out. After warming up for about 5 minutes or so it seems to be OK. Is this normal? I made a Youtube video of my bike to better show whats going on.

If you could take a peak at the video and let me know I'd greatly appreciate it! :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlzolgt8x2k]FZ1 Startup Idle - YouTube[/ame]

I have the following on the bike

HEL Stainless lines front and back
Ivan's FEC, AIS, Sub throttle flies
Power Commander V w/ Ivan's map
Airbox Mod
K&N filter
Leo Vince Slip on
HID kit
Gutted CAT

Last edited:
No thats not normal. Going by just what you've posted my first thought are Incorrect throttle points and idle speed. Have you set the throttle points since installing the pcIII. after the bike is warmed up (170 degrees) make sure it idles around 1300. you can set this with the white plastic knob on the left side of the engine. If you have not set your throttle points you would want to do that after setting idle speed. I would start there.

That idle sounds really screwed up, it should be slightly above 1000 and hold steady then come down just a bit as it warms up. Did you do all the installs yourself? As Johny said, it could possibly be that the 0 nd 100 % throttle settings weren't done propperly when the PCV was installed. I have a PCIII on mine and although the directions were a bit hard for me to pick up on the first time, I did get it after doing it twice but the PC needs to be synced with the throttle position. Other than that, I noticed you have Ivan's FCE installed and I would make sure that was done 100% accoring to the directions and all connections are good. Any time you modify the intake, and you have done an extensive group of mods there, it is possible to have a fueling problem somewhere. At what point in the process of modding did this occur?

Throttle bodies need sync. Mine does the same, i balanced them ages ago but it is a PITA to get to the screws. It doesn't affect performance.

bump...

Im dealing with this right now also. just finished all of my mods including the addition of a PCIII and my idle is low and very erratic between 870-1000rpm. Im assuming that this has occured because of all of the mods I did all at the same time and the air/fuel settings from stock dont work with the new setup. My mods include:

Ivans sub throttle plates
Ivans FCE
Air box mod and K&N air filter
AIS removal and block off plates
O2 removal and Dynojet o2 removal plug (at the harness)
Scorpion slip on

I did not gut the cat but Im trying to make sure I understand what I need to do to program the PCIII correctly. I followed Ivans instructions here:

PC3 - Setting Opening and Closing Points - FZ1OA Message Board

I assume that these instructions for setting throttle position apply regardless of which map you use? Do I understand that I need to set the idle manually to 1200 rpm before I set the throttle position? My numbers for throttle position were 5400-closed and 24448-open, do these sound about right? If Im supposed to set the idle manually then that might explain the erratic idle I have. I thought the PCIII would set the idle electronically and that was part of what I was doing.

Since almost all of you guys have a PCIII or PCV any wisdom would be greatly appreciated, Im looking forward to the +20hp gains I should get :) -jk

bump...

just finished all of my mods including the addition of a PCIII and my idle is low and very erratic between 870-1000rpm. jk

Once again adjust your idle to 1250-1350rpm after its warmed up. 870 to 1000 rpm is way to low.

The idle adjustment knob is on the left side of the bike, you can't miss it.

Hi everyone,

This is my first post so go easy on me

Anyways this has been bugging me for quite sometime so I figured I'd finally make a thread about it.

When I start my 2009 FZ1 it has a really rough idle and sometimes it will even die out. After warming up for about 5 minutes or so it seems to be OK. Is this normal? I made a Youtube video of my bike to better show whats going on.

If you could take a peak at the video and let me know I'd greatly appreciate it! :)

FZ1 Startup Idle - YouTube

I have the following on the bike

HEL Stainless lines front and back
Ivan's FEC, AIS, Sub throttle flies
Power Commander V w/ Ivan's map
Airbox Mod
K&N filter
Leo Vince Slip on
HID kit
Gutted CAT

My bike did the same thing BEFORE I adjusted the idle to 1300rpm. :) I noticed the bike was only at 135F when you started it but seemed to idle better toward the end of the video. Think its just a cold engine with the idle adjusted way too low.

Last edited:
Ok, your throttle bodies do directly effect your rpm. I ran into this recently myself, and it's a royal PITA but ya gotta get em synced. There's instructions on this site if you do a search, I've posted them, and do has a couple people. The correct rpm is 1300. But it may drop when your TB's are out of sync.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazing, I had this problem this morning! Not had it before, it then came up with fault code 14 on the display.

Since that I adjusted the idle erratically and then down to the correct level and all seems well.... Fingers crossed

Syncing the throttle-bodies is never a bad idea.......but if your throttle-bodies are out of sync the idle should be off when the bike is both cold and warm.
No change with temp. The original poster has stated the issue is GONE after 5 minutes of warm up.
You can hear his idle start to improve as the bike warms up toward the end of the video. The bikes at 135F at the start of the video with the idle surging from 800-1050.....its too low
Set your warm idle to 1300rpm first, if you continue to have an issue look to the throttle-bodies.

My bike sounded exactly like the video when my idle was to low, bumped it to 1250-1300 problem gone.

I would hate to see this poor guy buy drop hundreds at the dealer for a throttle-body sync, or struggle with a sync himself if he just needs a half turn of the idle adjustment.

I subscribe to the K.I.S.S method when working on a problem KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID :) Start with the easy solution FIRST. Then move on to the more complicated .

If my bike wont start I'll check for fuel in the tank first...........not rebuild the motor :)

Last edited:
The throttle bodies should be synced before setting your idle speed, which should be set between 1100-1300 RPM. (page 3-8 of the service manual)

This post is a little misleading because you always adjust your idle after doing a throttle-body sync. The idle will change after they are synced.

but you don't need to do a throttle-body sync every time you adjust your idle
The throttle body sync will not change with an idle adjustment.

Your quoting the procedure for a throttle body sync from the service manual

That procedure ends with idle adjustment.

GET THE IDLE ADJUSTED. THEN DECIDE IF ITS ROUGH OR SURGING TO THE POINT OF NEEDING A SYNC.

His bikes not going to idle well at 800-900rpm even if the sync is perfect with high vacuum

Last edited:
One last thought. I've seen a few people report a surging idle with a PCV or PCIII if the map has negative numbers at idle. ( the 1000-1500 rpm range at 0%- )
Take a look at the map if the problem continues after idle adjustment and return the numbers in that range to zero if they are negatives.

If a simple idle adjustment or map change fails, THEN look at the throttle-body sync.

K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid :)

Back