Fan switch for bypassing the radiator fan motor relay

A friend of mine in Branson, MO is concerned with the temps down there and how quickly the coolant temps are approaching the fan relay activation temperature. He figures the fan cuts in about 211 F. He wants to install a switch to bypass the normal relay which will turn the fans on earlier. According to the wiring diagram it doesn't look that hard to me but has anyone tried successfully to do one?

Thanks Billy, I don't have a Gen 1 wiring diagram, but in my Gen II diagram on page 8-25, it looks like the relay actually gets it's signal directly from the ECU, not the coolant temp sensor. Jim, in Branson is concerned that supplying voltage to the input of the relay in order to activate the fans could work back to the ECU and cause damage. I think when the Gen II came out they got a lot more complicated with the cooling system. On other bikes I've owned, the temp. sensor simply had a preset level at which the fan (s) were turned on by supplying 12V through a normally open set of contacts. On the Gen II they decided to use the ECU as the activator, getting at least some of it's info from the temperature sensor but who knows what other sensors may have an impact on what exact temp. has to be reached under different conditions to turn on the fans.

Thanks again

I would like to thank everyone who offered help on this issue. After looking at the diagram in the manual, it was pretty obvious that as long as only the secondary side of the relay was used (the wire that feeds the 12V to the motors, there is really no way of feeding 12V back to the ECU, just to the 12V source itself (battery). But, finding the relay itself was a great help. They can find places to hide relays and sensors that Houdini couldn't locate. I'm sure Jim will be absolutely thrilled with all this info. This type of cooperation and help between riders is what makes this such a great forum. Jim said in Branson it's been hotter than Hades for a long time and he was a little worried about damaging his bike in slow traffic.

Back