Shade Canopy Recommendations?

So I've been through two shade canopies at the track so far. I'm getting an average of a day and a half out of them. The problem is the wind collapes them into garbage. I saw one at Dick's last Fall that was perfect because it had a cross brace system. I went back today and of course it's not there. Well they have one but it is not UV lined and doesn't have a vent top.

Can anyone recommend a good canopy that has the cross brack, UV lined, and has a vent top?

Yes Texans I looked at Academy, nothing.

I'm willing to spend up to $200.00 so I don't have to spend $119 every track day..

I'm looking online but it's the same brands that keep coming up regardless of retailer.

thanks!

Man, thats a tuff one. I must have looked at 20 different ones and none of them offer any cross bracing yet they claim "wind protection". I couldn't see them holding up to a big wind unless you made up your own cross braces which probably could be done. A friend of mine once bought a 12x12 with mesh walls and a zippered opening and he used EMT pipe to brace each leg on both sides, up to the main structure. If I remember it looked like it came that way and stood up to some pretty windy summer storms. He hammered the end of the EMT flat, bent the last two inches to the proper angle, and then secured it with a hose clamp for easy removal if you could understand what I'm trying to say. Just a thought.

I made a quick drawing of what I meant. You would figure out the spacing and the bracing would attach with simple hose clamps. He never had his go down even when we had those freak storms with high winds.

Brace.jpg

Check out these. I've had a couple and they are definitely sturdy and well-built. I had a real bad wind pick up a 10 X 20 that I was using for a stand I had set up in a farmer's market, throw it across the street and when it landed, it didn't have anything wrong with it. I just put it back. It is a good idea to have a way to weigh then down however, such as a couple cement blocks or the like.

ShelterLogic Max AP 12Ft.W Canopy — 26ft.L x 12ft.W x 9ft. 6in.H, 10-Leg, Model# 30777 | Max - 1 3/8in. Dia. Frame Canopies | Northern Tool + Equipment

Thanks for the ideas guys. I ended up buying this one from REI. I used my dividend from last year, and a 20% off coupon. Aluminum Rapid Shelter - 10 x 10 at REI.com

Take a look at the photo and you'll see what I mean about cross bracing. Without it they bucket at the joint in the center of the length of the arm. When I was at Willow Springs the wind was cranking and most of the tents folded right up into garbage, and once they fold that is it.

View attachment 5705

Thanks for the ideas guys. I ended up buying this one from REI. I used my dividend from last year, and a 20% off coupon. Aluminum Rapid Shelter - 10 x 10 at REI.com

Take a look at the photo and you'll see what I mean about cross bracing. Without it they bucket at the joint in the center of the length of the arm. When I was at Willow Springs the wind was cranking and most of the tents folded right up into garbage, and once they fold that is it.

View attachment 5705

I had one like that at one point. They are very sturdy and should hold up fine. I like how it just folds and you can put it away in the carrying bag. It's not very heavy so the biggest issue will be securing it to the ground if it's very windy.

I had one like that at one point. They are very sturdy and should hold up fine. I like how it just folds and you can put it away in the carrying bag. It's not very heavy so the biggest issue will be securing it to the ground if it's very windy.

Good to hear, thanks.

I use toolboxes, fuel cans and my trailer to tie the canopy off to.

The ARS shade canopy arrived today and I'm impressed! This thing is head-and-shoulders over anything I've seen in the stores. The frame is two to three times the size, it's nice boxed aluminium, the joints and fittings are rock solid. The legs slide easily and it was easy for just me to put up. What surprised me is that the instructions are in English and German, hummm, that might explain the quality. I picked this up at REI, they are also at Amazon too.

View attachment 5805

View attachment 5806

View attachment 5807

I am in the same spot. LOL There just does not seem to be a good option.
I found a forum where they talked about reinforcing an EZ UP with electrical conduit. That would be cheap and definitely add stability to the accordion style trusses. I think that would probably work. I am negotiating with a guy right now. He has a steel frame EZ UP and he is selling for $250. I'm trying to get him down to $200. I hope he bites.
If he does not - I may go another direction. I have been reading some good things about canopy named Kelty Shadehouse.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqFptzk-JKI]YouTube - Kelty Shadehouse 10' and 12'[/ame]

There are a bunch of these available. The video shows the 2011 model and it is one of the nicer ones. LOL Of course it also comes with a nicer price tag. HAHAHA!!! They go as low as $50 on Ebay and as high as $250 for the latest and greatest model. The thing I like about them is that they would assemble quickly and bend with the wind instead of break like the EZ UP's do. IDK - If my guy does not lower his price - I think I may go with the Kelty.

There seems to be several models to choose from.

s7_519977_999_03rgn0015991065scl3.jpg

Kelty Canopy Shade House Tent Shelter 10 x 10 New Camp | eBay

ol2039.jpg

View attachment 5705

Hey Pete -
I was wondering how this shelter is holding up? It seems like a good choice - just wanted to see how it has performed for you.

I have a real nice heavy duty one the brand name escapes me, the problem I have is the frame holds up great but when the winds really kick up it stresses and rips the fabric at the contact points. I have had it fixed twice, not sure I will do it again.

I use these along with everyone else each summer for swim team. Time and again, in windy conditions, when everyone else's is blowing away, bending, tipping, etc, mine stays put. The trick is the canopy. No vents = parasail. tiny vents = almost parasail and will tip and bend.

Mine has a double complete vent - two separate layers of 'roof' in the center of the structure. you still should have canopy weights in case of gale-force wind, but in the grass we use stakes.

Quik Shade Summit 100 Instant Canopy Tent - 10 x 10

i have two of the ez-up's 12X12 and have never had a problem with the wind, been out in the middle of no-were nevada and had monsoon winds no problems still working great.

would post a photo if i had any...:needpics: was way too busy just having fun.

Coleman Event Shelter

Well I finally decided to pull the trigger on a canopy as I have my big race in a couple of weeks. I just could not get the idea of wind destroying the traditional (EZ Up type canopy) so I decided to go a different route.
I bought a Coleman Event Shelter. LOL They are not available in the US so I had to buy from the UK. It actually arrived in 6 days which is pretty impressive. Here is a pic:

25943.jpg

Here is a short video of a salesman detailing the Event Shelter. It was almost the exact price of the lower tier EZ Up and the shape should (I hope) prevent the wind from blowing this thing all around the paddock. I do need to focus on finding some way to weigh down the footing so I can keep this set up on asphalt.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLsFPXz8B80&feature=fvwrel]Coleman Event Shelter - www.simplyhike.co.uk - YouTube[/ame]

I will take some pics and let you guys know how it holds up.

Back