Ravenrider's $14.99 mod?

So I did a search on the Famous RavenRider's front fork mod for $14.95 and can not find any info on it.. I did this on my previous GEN1 FZ1's . Actually I put progressive springs in it instead of cutting the stock spring ,but I can't remember the oil level or oil weight . Any one know if it's 5wt or 7.5wt oil and the amount of oil or the oil level to forks? Thanks.

Last edited:
Got the DeLorean fixed and what did I find....
That things were better in the past?

I respect RavenRider and his methods. I had already gone with the Traxxion fork springs on both bikes for $130 and am very happy with them. Especially for two up, I went with which ever spring rate was strongest 1.1 I believe. I use somewhere between 6 and 7.5 wt. fork oil viscosity.

Pretty amazed how much Traxxion is getting for the Ak-20 valves. Penske's are sky high as well, glad I bought mine in the past.
You could buy a decent used bike for the cost of a Penske rear and AK-20 valves, of course then you would have to upgrade the suspension.

That things were better in the past?

I respect RavenRider and his methods. I had already gone with the Traxxion fork springs on both bikes for $130 and am very happy with them. Especially for two up, I went with which ever spring rate was strongest 1.1 I believe. I use somewhere between 6 and 7.5 wt. fork oil viscosity.

Pretty amazed how much Traxxion is getting for the Ak-20 valves. Penske's are sky high as well, glad I bought mine in the past.
You could buy a decent used bike for the cost of a Penske rear and AK-20 valves, of course then you would have to upgrade the suspension.
How much are they now?
I bought mine from someone over at FZ1OA and it was money well spent. Can't even remember how much I paid, but I think it was less than half new cost at the time.

How much?

$140 for springs
Pensske 8983 = $1315
Penske 9887 = $1575
AK20 = $1250

They're probably worth it. I'm into a used 8983 and new fork springs for $725.

By the way the Penske Shock sock isn't very good at keeping road grit off the piston. It has three or four holes in it to let the air in and out. I'm a fan of overlapping plastic collars like are on the BMW S1000rr shock. Cost me $450 for a new piston after 5 years of Penske ownership.

I remember those Ak20s were all the buzz at the time. These days it's cheaper to do a R1 fork conversion, still on my to-do list however those $140 springs seem like a good bargain. That and one of Dean's R6R shocks would make me happy.

I'd like to try an R6 shock someday. I also have an S1000rr shock that i switched to a 700# spring. Awesome for 2 up. Penske's better for one up.

I remember those Ak20s were all the buzz at the time. These days it's cheaper to do a R1 fork conversion, still on my to-do list however those $140 springs seem like a good bargain. That and one of Dean's R6R shocks would make me happy.
I doubt the R1 fork conversion is better without some work and fidgeting.
The ride quality of the AK20s is eye opening.

Last edited:
I doubt the R1 fork conversion is better without some work and fidgeting.
The ride quality of the AK20s is eye opening.
I said cheaper not better :)

Years ago it was a no brainer. The AK-20s were easier and a better solution since the R1 forks were expensive to source, and as you mention they are still not ideal without some additional work (valving, spring changes, etc)

But now you can find a R1 front end pretty cheap even with a refresh and some upgrades.

Im $300 all in on a beemer shock and completely gone thru front forks. Its better and cheaper. Took months to get the right deal on the beemer shock though, they were scarce a few years ago.

Circa 2014 when a member on FZ1oa first publiished the BMW S1000rr shock upgrade you could pick up a used 2012 BMW shock for less than $75 on the Bay. I had a Eibach 700# spring from an earlier mod of the stock shock by Curtis.

Is it better than Penske or Ohlins? I'll just say it's different, competent, and way better than a stock shock. If I didn't find a used Penske, I would have been satisfied with the R6 or BMW solution.

I used Computrack in Warwick RI to refurbish my Penske when the shaft got scratched. I told the owner about my success with the BMW shock and 700# spring. His response was "Where did you here about that? The internet? At which point four or five other employees started laughing at the inside joke.

I don't appreciate being "shamed" by vendors, when I'm spending my money, especially when I know I'm right. On the other hand I could see how the internet and home tinkerers were stealing their lunch. Their out of business now. Too bad actually they did good work.

On the BMW shock topic and a refresh, what year was the desired one? Seems also referenced by color of the bottom piece, either silver or bronze?

On the BMW shock topic and a refresh, what year was the desired one? Seems also referenced by color of the bottom piece, either silver or bronze?
09-14 was what i got, dont know about a bottom piece color. With a givi top box it netted zero lift with stock spring.

Color is for the bottom "fork" part that bolts to the linkage. Fit is same with 09-14 and IIRC, 09-11 was bronze colored and 12-14 was silver. Supposedly slight differences in spring rate and adjustment . Lemme jump to the UK site and dig some more.

I have 20012, it's silver on bottom and bronze on top near reservoir. 12 was one of the preferred years. I'm trying to remember poster who started the BMW alternative on FZ1OA. DevilsIam was the R6 originator. There are many that like the R6.

Back