Oops something fell off my bike tonight.

Yes, it's on its way to South Carolina as we speak. I've read so many good things about the Ivan flash that I thought it was time to give it a try. Hopefully I'll soon be another happy cheerleader lol.

I finally got the bike back together and went for a ride today. Initial impression is "why didn't Yamaha tune it this way from the start?" Seriously, all the little weird herky jerky on/off throttle glitches are gone, no more spitting/popping, just smooth throttle response everywhere all the time. Even the shifting feels smoother, not sure why that would be but I'm going with it. Ivan nailed this tune for sure, truly transforms the bike to another level. I have no idea if the bike is faster, was fast before and still is lol. The first couple gears feel stronger from a seat of the pants perspective. Overall I will say money well spent. Customer service was top notch for sure.

While the bike was down I took the opportunity to make a few other improvements. I took the rear section to a local paint guy to fix some fading and wear marks from the previous owner, came out great. I also changed the license plate holder and turn signals to move them up and out from under the rear seat so that they are more visible. Trading sleek for safe I guess. At my age I'm gonna call that a good trade. Also added some LED headlight bulbs and a speedohealer so now it reads dead nuts on.

The FZ1 is looking and running good!

As a side note, in my usual ham fisted fashion I managed to break the fuel line connection off the bottom of the fuel pump while messing with the electric connections under the tank. After a few minutes of minor panic and perhaps a little foul language, I came up with a solution that didn't involve replacing the $450 fuel pump assembly. Turns out the pump base has enough meat to drill/tap and replace the stock plastic nipple with a 1/8" NPT fitting with a 1/4" hose barb end. Problem solved, for $3. So far no leaks.

Was heading home from work today and a bike pulled out ahead of me in the right lane, I was in the middle of three lanes and not much traffic around. I'm typically only 5-10 over, don't like attracting unnecessary attention. He must have seen my headlights behind because he slowed noticeably and let me cruise by with a wave. Far as I could tell it was an older R1 but I can't be sure. We traded places a couple of times as we moved with traffic and eventually came to a first gear roll as a light turned green. I "needed" to merge left to turn at the next light so got on it a little to pass slow cars in the left lane and noticed that he seemed to be in a hurry as well. First time I've actually whacked the throttle open in first gear since the ECU flash. Front end got very light through first and into second even with my generously proportioned rear end in the saddle. The red light saved me from watching him scream by but I think I surprised him! Made me giggle.

After riding around on Ivan's tune for a few weeks, I've noticed a 2-3 mpg increase in mileage, now regularly getting 42 +/- unless I'm playing too much. Worst so far with this tune was 39+, can't really complain given the average throttle position for that particular ride segment. Not bad considering it runs better too. Yep, good mod! 🤞

Back