Fz1 gen2. 2006- not charging...

Delta

Hi guys
So my fz1 isn't charging Grrr. I bought a new regulator/rectifier and fitted it but it's still not charging.
Can someone tell me how to check the correct way to test the generator output. I've looked on the forum but couldn't find anything.
What I have done is put a multimeter set on 50 volt A/C on the plug with 3 white wires that goes into the regulator rectifier and got nothing even with swapping the 3 wires about.
I'm well unhappy thinking I'm going to have to buy and fit a new generator.
Is there a video on how to do this on the fz1? Also is it a big job?

Thanks guys

Delta

have you verified the battery isn't just old and dead? and if i recall they only charge if you're running over 3k rpms on the R1's and this is the same engine so, it may do the same

have you verified the battery isn't just old and dead? and if i recall they only charge if you're running over 3k rpms on the R1's and this is the same engine so, it may do the same

Hi Delbert and Jared. Well Id like someone to verify that it only charges over 3000 rpm... I can't see that myself as if your just ticking over or slow riding in traffic etc the battery would go flat. The headlight is permanently on so it must charge surely. Anyhow I bought a manual on CD off eBay and a rotor puller, thread lock, and some other bits and I'm going to take it apart this Saturday. I work all week so the weekend is my only chance to do it. I've found a guy that rewinds the stators for a well known bike electric spares place. A lot cheaper to recondition my own stator than buying a new one at £700 eh. Fingers crossed I will know today what the problem is and what it's going to take to get my ride back on the road.
Cheers guys
Delta.

Best of luck mate ,, I did put a volt meter on my battery a few days ago as I said I blew some bulbs ,, mine charges at 14.3 volts on idle

Best of luck mate ,, I did put a volt meter on my battery a few days ago as I said I blew some bulbs ,, mine charges at 14.3 volts on idle

Yeh that's about right in my books, you don't want to be going over 14.4 volts really. 14.4 is a good voltage to charge the battery fully to 100%
If you start going much over 14.4v you could boil the battery long term.
My ride has been off the road now for 3 weeks and I feel like crying lol.
I'm hoping to have it diagnosed today and if I need a new generator that will all be done by next week all going to plan that is..

Delta.

Hopefully not to late, Delta.

I've found Electro sport's troubleshooting guide to be very helpful in the past. Some other good resources on their site as well.

Fault Finding Guide - Motorcycle Electrical Fault Finding Chart - ElectroSport

Sent from Tapatalk on my Note 4.[/QUOTE
Hi fella thanks for that. I have that all on a peice of paper that come with the reg/Rectifier
No joy on the readings though. I think the generator is cream crackered.
Thanks for posting anyway, maybe someone else might find it very useful.
Cheers
Delta.

Ok so I've taken the generator case off and as I did I could see smashed up magnets that should of been attached to the inside of the rotor grrr
The stator looks ok and I'm getting an ohms reading on the 3 wires of 1.4 ohms. Not sure what it should read though yet without referring to the manual. So there's bits of magnet everywhere and I'm going to have to drop the exhaust and then the sump to check for fragments.
On another fazer forum, a Greek one they say it's a common fault and yamaha know about it and they have redesigned a new rotor, with the magnets behind a shield plate.
Is there a recall on this ???
I'm not happy but I can't leave it so I'm getting on with it. I'm worried the exhaust studs might snap though.
Cheers

Delta

Last edited:
image_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After I took it out. As you can see the pile of smashed magnets grr

What a bummer !! I too have heard this is a problem , as for the exhaust studs I bought a penlight blow torch / soldering iron off eBay for a tenner ,, you can sneak it in on the manifold nuts , I got all mine off with a bit of patience

My bike has30,000 it's just busted. the flywheel all the magnets come loose and I have chanced oil cleaned and put new flywheel, stator and voltage regulator. New battery and its still draining g it

It's 2007fz1
Hi, Im having the same the same problem with my FZ1, 2007. The battery isn't charging when riding it.
I've recently replaced the battery and the rectifier and looking at the service notes, it's had the stator done too a few years ago.

How did you get on with yours? Did you did the cause?

Back