GPS power

screamingbuick

Hi guys, buying a 09 FZ1 and will be flying to where it is to drive it back to New England in April, I'm bringing my Zumo down with me so i don't get lost driving home, is it easy to access battery on the FZ1, need to wire the Zumo up. I wont have a lot of tools but I'll b:yes:ring what I think I'll need.

yeah... the battery is easy to get to... but much more importantly... where are you flying to get it? A fly and buy can be AWESOME!!!!!! I have a buddy who did it from Nashua, NH... he flew to FL to get a FJR and rode it back to NH.... has some great times along the way...

Hi guys, buying a 09 FZ1 and will be flying to where it is to drive it back to New England in April, I'm bringing my Zumo down with me so i don't get lost driving home, is it easy to access battery on the FZ1, need to wire the Zumo up. I wont have a lot of tools but I'll b:yes:ring what I think I'll need.

Battery is under the seat so it's easy enough to get to. I guess the trickiest part is going to be running the wires back towards the handle bars, but since it's just to get you home it shouldn't be a big deal. You can see it here with the seat removed:

IMG_0775.jpg

Thanks guys, that's awesome, when i get back home, I'll do up the wiring right and permanent. Yeah I live in Massachusetts and will fly to Georgia to pick it up, can't wait. I won't be able to get down there until probably April though, to much snow. The wait is going to kill me.:wow:

Bob

Where in MA are you? We have a couple other folks here from MA and I'm not far from the border either being in NH. Perhaps a scheduled ride is in order!!

South Hadley, and definitely need to hook up for rides, a friend of mine lives in Manchester NH and he's like get the bike now, get it now, haha. My brother is buying a new Kawasaki Versys also, plan on riding a lot this summer. I usually ride my KTM RXC-620 everywhere, but that's getting old. This will be awesome. Where abouts are in NH?

Any idea what size spade or loop connector will i need to put on the end of my GPS wiring to attach to battery? I'll prep that now before I fly down south to get the bike.

Any idea what size spade or loop connector will i need to put on the end of my GPS wiring to attach to battery? I'll prep that now before I fly down south to get the bike.

Not sure of the size that I used, but I can't imagine that the diameter of the battery terminal bolt is larger than 3/16".

If you aren't too fussy about your temporary routing and connections to the battery terminals, a single philips screwdriver will get the job done. Your key gets you access to the battery by removing the seat. It's all downhill from there. Hope your trip back home is safe and enjoyable. Shoot some pictures and post them when you get back. It'll be a trip to remember.

Best to just get an SAE connector and then the adapter for the GPS. If it is a cigarette lighter plug....

Try this for the connector: Gears Battery Cord - Snow - Motorcycle Superstore

And this for the adapter: Road Captain USA.com 12 Volt Power Port for motorcycle GPS and other electronics

Actually, they have the whole thing as a kit here: GPS KIT

That first pic looks like a good idea, the second two links error out.

As far as the screw driver idea, that will work also, i did that on my KTM Dual sport, but the wires on the Garmin GPS unit are so tiny any little squishing makes them break off, but in a pinch it will work, thanks

Bob

Well I took a quick measure last night with a tape measure (couldn't find my calipers) and it seems like I was right about the 3/16" diameter. I would suggest a spade connector because you can always close or open up the end of it a little bit to get a good fit.

Back