Ivans Performance

B

Buildercher

I have just dynoed my 06 FZ1n , PC3, Ivans FCU, Sub throttle plates, Airbox mod, DNA filter. Ivans map was all over the place with 143hp @ rear alot less than claimed on there website after dyno and custom map 152 @ rear. I also have an Ignition modual but unless you have made internal mods it is worth about 1hp I decided to disconnect it as the PC3 became unusually hot not to sure what going on there but PC3 works well without it. Has anyone custom mapped there bike and found Ivans map very strange?.

After I installed a PCIII and a map from Ivan, I also installed a gauge to monitor my Fuel to Oxygen ratios just so I could do my own changes. Ivan's map was rich in the middle, which I ended up changing. If you print out the map you can see where the fuel is added and taken away. It didn't look right when you see an area from 3250 RPM to 8000 and 2% to 10% throttle opening and every index adding exactly 10% more fuel. that's 59 indivual indexes all set at a plus 10%. It just looked to me more like "shotgunning" than actually increasing or decreasing at every index as the motor realy needed. I didn't dyno but I drove it a lot watching the A/F ratio's. That's why I had a thread a few days ago about people putting up their maps for comparison purposes. The bike runs fine and that's really what I care most about. Numbers don't mean much if the bike doesn't run in a civil manner.

Well I am not going to come here and say anything good or bad about Ivan's maps as I have never used any of them. I know he has several versions out there so not sure if you tried his lates E version or not. I will say that all bikes are a little different and things such as gasoline quality (especially in other countries), altitude, humidity, etc. play a role in the tune. It's probably always best to have your bike dyno tuned locally than to try a "mass" produced map.

You also need to note that Ivan is in the U.S., so has created his maps with a U.S. spec bike, running U.S. gasoline. (As far as I know, I don't see any other way he could make it.)

Gas varies quite a bit around the world, so since you are in NZ I'd recommend getting a custom map made by someone near you. That would likely work better. This is always the case anyway. Any map you download is just a map of the bike it was created on, and will never be 100% optimum for your bike.

Do you have an aftermarket exhaust? You didn't list that as a mod. This makes a big difference on the FZ1.

FZ1 06 Performance

Thanks for your input I never thought gas would play much of a part from country to country, I run 98 octane I found Ivans map very rich after custom mapping the bike it runs 152 @ rear and 75 @ torque. The bike feels very smooth and pulls hard. I am looking at a Penske 8983 to buy from the states, From what ive read they are just as good as Ohlins and more affordable any advice??

I have the 8983 and it's an excellant shock. I have never owned an Ohlins so I can't give you a direct comparison. I think you would be satisfied either way as they both have excellant reputations.

after custom mapping the bike it runs 152 @ rear and 75 @ torque. The bike feels very smooth and pulls hard.

:tup:

Awesome man, that's some serious power.

Regarding gas in different countries. It's not only the gas, but the fact the bike is tuned from the factory to run best on your gas, so a map added on top of that should be made with the same setup.

98 octane from the pump?

Well, remember in the US the octane ratings on the pump are an average of "research" and "motor" octane, if I remember correctly.

From Wikipedia:

Generally, octane ratings are higher in Europe than they are in North America and most other parts of the world. This is especially true when comparing the lowest available octane level in each country. In many parts of Europe, 95 RON (90-91 AKI) is the minimum available standard, with 97/98 RON being higher specification (being called Super Unleaded). The higher rating seen in Europe is an artifact of a different underlying measuring procedure. In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in Canada, the United States and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in Canada and the US, would be 91-92 in Europe. However most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as "regular", equivalent to 90–91 US AKI=(R+M)/2, and deliver 98, 99 or 100 (RON) (93-94 AKI) labeled as Super Unleaded - thus regular petrol sold in much of Europe corresponds to premium sold in the United States.
In other countries "regular" unleaded gasoline, when available, is sometimes as low as 85 RON (still with the more regular fuel, 95, and premium, around 98, available).

Last edited:
The map is not too rich... wideband tuning results always show what you have posted here.

I would suggest that you read this thread... I spent a few hours explaining why people get different exhaust tuning results when going to a dyno center.

Pc V vs PCIII - FZ1OA Message Board

Ivan :)

Thanks for the thread I have read it and are a little more wiser, I dont knock your knowledge and experience all I can go by is the results I get from the dyno on the day and down low the map was strange. One thing we noticed the PC3 got very hot with the ignition modual, We disconnected the modual and ran the PC3 by itself it seems ok. A couple of times when riding, the bike has stopped strangely and 39 comes up on the dash which indicates injection problem. After five minites the bike starts up, have you come up against this problem before and do you have any advice?

I have not heard of a 39 code from anyone to date... I also have not heard of the PC3 getting hot while th IM is plugged in, although, I must say that I never checked for this before.

I would contact Dynojet about the heat issue.... if there is no problem, the IM is a very worthwhile mod. The bike will run cooler, have better throttle response and the motor will be a lot happier with 3-4mpg better mileage.

I was in a book store the other day and was reading about remapping cars (car book) and the book was discussing different ways to get exhaust samples while on the dyno.... the funny thing is that they mentioned to never put a wideband into the tailpipe of the exhaust because it gives very erratic readings that are very misleading. Next time I'm at the mall I'll write down the name of the book.

It said the same thing that I have been saying all along.... if a wideband is going to be used, then it should be installed in the exhaust manifold.... close to the head....even at the exhaust collector is still too far away for accurate readings unless the CAT is still in place.

It went further to say: that even though it is common practice for dyno shops to take their exhaust samples this way.... it is just plain wrong and very inaccurate, and don't waste your money on it... rather get your own sensor and put it in the manifold and do your own data logging and make the adjustments yourself for a much better result.

It also said that if this was not feasable, then an old fashioned CO meter is still the best choice...for dyno tuning. This is what I have been using for years and I look to make sure that the gas (CO) stays within a certain range.
This differs slightly from one combustion chamber design to another slightly, but as long as you get the gas to be pretty consistent, your ok and the bike always runs better than the way that things are done as I mentioned above.

Ivan :)

I've tried literally dozens of maps before settling on Ivan's E map, which is his latest tested map. It is much leaner through the mid-range, and out of every map I've tried from another forum's offerings, I get the best gas mileage with Ivan's E map by a significant margin. I have the results and configurations logged since I bought the bike new last April. Other maps seemed to run fine, but this E map hit the spot, and that's with running no secondary flies or spindle. If anyone wants to see my fuel mileage and configurations, I can try and post it, or copy and paste. Anyone interested in that? It was what I'd consider a non-scientific scientific test consisting of common riding areas and loops, and silly attention to throttle amounts. LOL...at least now I'm riding more and worrying less...:th_smiley_rotfl2[1]

One other item of note is that I have found Ivan's mention of the wideband erratic behavior to be correct. In my own travels to prove something to myself, I used Dynojet's Auto Tune on the bike for a couple months (in total). I had many, many problems with it, and conferred with Dynojet by phone and email a LOT. They actually acknowledged a problem with the 02 controller (email Dusty at Dynojet about that and get the new R6 02 controller, or eliminator, which will help a little) that is common with the R1 and other bikes, like the new V-Max. In the end, I sold the Auto Tune because I could never get solid gas mileage that compared to the E map, nor could I get as much smoothness and power, as evidenced in tests to loft my front wheel, amongst other fun testing. Dynojet simply acknowledged the possibilities of exhaust anomalies and reversion giving the 02 sensor false readings in certain places, thereby making it nearly impossible to get accurate tuning going on. Their solution was to simply "zero out" these problem areas, which I didn't see as the best possible outcome because how could I really know what was right, aside from road feel.

Last edited:
Back