Newb with Exhaust Question

Just brought this one home 2 weeks ago. A 2012 Gen 2 with Scorpion slip-on and Renthal bars and only about 3500 miles when purchased. Enjoying the crap out of it thus far. Never owned a Yamaha street bike before nor a 4 and this one's a gem certainly.

Couple quick questions.
1) Previous owner did not map the Scorpion but he did gut the airbox or something of that sort. I'll try to dig more and find out exactly what he did. But anyhow, the bike runs fabulously well most of the time and makes some nice noise, but the noise (even with db killer in) starts to wear a small bit on me after about 200 miles. And too, as with most untuned slip-ons I've ever had it has that uneven idle and is a slight bit jerky at low speeds. It's nothing that bothersome and I know most folks would tell me to get a pc or something of that sort but honestly, and don't shame me for this, I am considering just putting the stock muffler back on it but I'm unsure how it would do with his airbox mod?

2) Also, where is the best place to get a longer brake line for the bike?

Nice ride!

What is your idle RPMs set at? You should be showing 1250-1300 RPMs. Below that, the bike will fluctuate. Scorpion slip-ons are notably loud Check to see if the CAT was removed too. I have a Two Bros with the P1 tip and it is a deep note but still quiet enough to not bother me.

As for the brake line, did you put those bars on or did it come that way? If it came that way, maybe consider the OEM bars? Partshark has them fairly cheap if you don't have the originals and it would be cheaper than new custom brake lines. If you like those bars, then contact HEL and ask for a custom FZ1 set that is 3" longer. this will be two lines with a double banjo at the master cylinder.

Good luck!

Nice ride!

What is your idle RPMs set at? You should be showing 1250-1300 RPMs. Below that, the bike will fluctuate. Scorpion slip-ons are notably loud Check to see if the CAT was removed too. I have a Two Bros with the P1 tip and it is a deep note but still quiet enough to not bother me.

Got a Vstream shield today and initial run seemed to work better for me on the highway than stock but it'll take more miles to see.

As for the brake line, did you put those bars on or did it come that way? If it came that way, maybe consider the OEM bars? Partshark has them fairly cheap if you don't have the originals and it would be cheaper than new custom brake lines. If you like those bars, then contact HEL and ask for a custom FZ1 set that is 3" longer. this will be two lines with a double banjo at the master cylinder.

Good luck!

You know, I haven't even checked the idle speed; I'll note it next time I ride for sure.

Guy who owned it before me put those bars on it. They are really nice Renthals, seem to be vibe free as well. But to bring them back further I can reroute the clutch line to make it work if I had to but that brake line is too tight as is so I will definitely check into a custom brake and maybe clutch line too.

Also, I just received my 16T sprocket I want to install. I did the same with my 950 KTM and it really did the trick. I'm enjoying the FZ now but yowsah, I don't think nor hope I'll be running 150 on a regular basis ;) though I did find myself nearing it the other day (man this thing is scary fast in that upper register, gotta watch myself :angel: ) so I'm probably gonna go down that one tooth just to get a slightly better jump off idle. Or at least that's what it did for my KTM and didn't seem to negatively affect highway work much either; hoping it does the same here for the FZ. But quick question about that. I haven't even greatly eyeballed the process for install yet. With my KTM it was lift rear, loosen axle, completely slack chain, pop off sprocket cover and nut, remove, replace. Is that the basic process here for the FZ or is it significantly different in some way?

Last edited:
Get your Ecu flashed by Vcyclenut. He can correct your speedo for the gear change and fix your fuel map for the airbox and pipe for $200. Best money I spent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know, I haven't even checked the idle speed; I'll note it next time I ride for sure.

Guy who owned it before me put those bars on it. They are really nice Renthals, seem to be vibe free as well. But to bring them back further I can reroute the clutch line to make it work if I had to but that brake line is too tight as is so I will definitely check into a custom brake and maybe clutch line too.

Also, I just received my 16T sprocket I want to install. I did the same with my 950 KTM and it really did the trick. I'm enjoying the FZ now but yowsah, I don't think nor hope I'll be running 150 on a regular basis ;) though I did find myself nearing it the other day (man this thing is scary fast in that upper register, gotta watch myself :angel: ) so I'm probably gonna go down that one tooth just to get a slightly better jump off idle. Or at least that's what it did for my KTM and didn't seem to negatively affect highway work much either; hoping it does the same here for the FZ. But quick question about that. I haven't even greatly eyeballed the process for install yet. With my KTM it was lift rear, loosen axle, completely slack chain, pop off sprocket cover and nut, remove, replace. Is that the basic process here for the FZ or is it significantly different in some way?

To replace the front sprocket on this one, you will have to remove the shift linkage then the bolts for the cover. The cover also holds wiring and a coolant hose in place so you'll have to carefully work the cover out. Try and get the lock washer bent out of the way and the nut loose before going slack on the chain. Without an impact driver, it will be tough to get the nut loose. Once loose, you can go slack and pop out the sprocket.

Did you buy an after-market without the rubber dampener or did you buy the 2001-2005 Gen I OEM sprocket (dampened)? Gen I was 16T stock. I have one in the garage from my 2009 but never put it on the 2013. I'm already doing bad enough with fuel... :D :D :D

I got a JT sprocket. But hey, I'm with ya on the mpg. That 950 Supermoto (rejetted carbs and FMF muffs) drinks gas like gatorade, getting about 29 around town and at most 35 on the highway so I am loving the FZ's ability to do respectively well for tank range while still being a very performance oriented bike. Maybe I'll reconsider that 16T or at least think about for another several 100 miles before install.

I also just bought FZ1, its a 2010 with very low km, 4200. I like the stock exhaust, it looks OK and is nice and quite with a low rumble. I put a yoshi exhaust on my previous bike, a FZ8, and after a year put the stock back on, it was hideously ugly but I couldn't stand the loudness of the yoshi on long trips.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

I'm a stock exhaust kind of guy, too. My FZ1 had a stock pipe, as did my 919 and my current VFR. I've purchased a few bikes that came with aftermarket cans but I found myself putting silencer baffles in pretty quickly.

My '05 came with stock exhaust when i got it, but I ended up putting a holeshot complete system on. Its fairly loud, but I wear ear plugs when i ride anyway due to wind noise so exhaust sound isn't an issue. The only time I'm self conscious of the db's is when its early early in the morning and I'm commuting to work. I can't imagine my neighbor enjoys the brief warmup period.

I enjoy the weight savings over stock headers and exhaust, as well as the look. Its also a fair bit slimmer which helps me enter and exit my garage next to the car. That stock can is giant!

Did a little more digging today and found out the previous owner gutted the cat. Dunno if putting the stock exhaust back on after gutting the cat is a good/bad/negligible idea? Previous owner said Delkevic makes a quieter slip-on so maybe that's an option. Or I guess I could just get the ECU reflashed as suggested earlier. Or just leave the damn thing alone :D and wear my earplugs like I should be doing anyhow on long trips.

Another silly question. Sorry for my ignorance here, but I just reinstalled the stock muffler, this just to give a try. I reconnected the exup cables but I they don't seem to be opening nor closing the valve no matter how I rev the engine. Advice? It was open when I reinstalled so does it even matter per se?

Last edited:
I never checked mine but the exhaust tone changes around 5-6K I assume that's the exup valve opening. Was the servo under the seat removed/disconnected by the previous owner? Does the valve move freely by hand with the cables disconnected? Do the cables move freely? From what I have gathered from other posts, some say there is a difference in mid range torque with it disabled and some say no difference. Never tried it myself.

If you like the sound/look of the stock exhaust I would say use it, its as close as your going to get to stock as far as fueling is concerned. I doubt that just removing the cat would make much of a difference in back pressure. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Another silly question. Sorry for my ignorance here, but I just reinstalled the stock muffler, this just to give a try. I reconnected the exup cables but I they don't seem to be opening nor closing the valve no matter how I rev the engine. Advice? It was open when I reinstalled so does it even matter per se?
I don't bother with mine i have just wired it open ,,, your unlikely to see it move ,total waste of time how ever it should cycle when you turn the ign on if it doesn't you may have the cables the wrong way round

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm gonna give it a short ride tonight. The cables were connected under the seat; original owner only disconnected cables and zip tied them near the muffler when he installed the Scorpion. I installed the so called black cable on the bottom and so I think I've got that right. Maybe. LOL. I'll give it a spin tonight and see how it goes. I can already say the stock sound is more to my personal preferred decibal level everywhere except wide open where the Scorpion really screamed nicely. And yes, I admit the slip-on was some serious weight savings compared to stock but I was also surprised the stock muffler, compared to other bikes I've owned, seems considerably lighter. On some of my previous Guzzis, I'm not kidding you could barely hold the things up while trying to get them positioned correctly.

I prefer the after market scorpion I have the serket exhaust and the bike growls it actually made the bike throttle much better I did the cat gutted but no air box mod just an after market filter.

Back