Bogie's FZ10 Build Thread

Figured I would start a thread to post updates to the FZ10 as the time goes. The bike has changed so much since I got it in October.

The bike is amazing but like any bike I have owned, I want to make it my own and put my "Bogie" touches to it.

So far this is the list of mods that I have done to the bike:

Nissan Body Push Type Retainers (Mirror Plugs)
Yamaha Black Billet GP Rear Stand Hooks
ProBolt Titanium M6 x 25mm (4) Race Hook Bolts
CRG Black 2" Blindsight Bar End Mirrors
Evotech Aluminum Rear Foot Peg Removal Kit
Evotech Radiator and Oil Cooler Guards
RhinoMoto Bar Ends with Mirror Mounts
Pazzo Shorty Levers (Black w/Titanium Adjusters)
Woodcraft Frame Sliders
TechSpec Tank Pad
Quick Action Black CNC Aluminum Keyless Gas Cap
Ermax Seat Cowl
Woodcraft Engine Covers
Custom LED Blaster-X Integrated LED Tail Light
NTS Fender Eliminator
Watsen Front Signals
Z-Motorsports Matte Carbon Fiber Front Fender
Z-Motorsports Matte Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger
Z-Motorsports Matte Carbon Fiber Sprocket Cover
RokForm Motorcycle Phone Mount
Yamaha GYTR Quick Shifter
EBC Front and Rear Disc Brake Pads
Driven Screw Set (License Plate Bolts)
Driven Oil Fill Cap
Driven D3 Alumitech Grips
Driven 520 Sprockets
EK MVXZ2 Series 520 Chain Kit
Lightec Chain Adjusters
Carrozzeria Forged Wheels (Titanium Grey)
OEM Rotors with Black Carriers (Replace OEM Red Carrier Rotors)
ECU Flash – 2 Wheels DynoWorks
Gilles Tooling Billet Brake Reservoir Cover
Moto-D Oil Drain Bolt

Here are Before and After pics of the bike from the day I brought her home to as she sits today.

Your bike is looking super awesome Bogie.

BTW I've been looking at the exhaust systems for them, they don't seem to add much hp. You just lose a little weight and sound louder.
Looks like they did a pretty good job from factory.

Last edited:
Your bike is looking super awesome Bogie.

BTW I've been looking at the exhaust systems for them, they don't seem to add much hp. You just lose a little weight and sound louder.
Looks like they did a pretty good job from factory.

Thanks!!

Yeah the stock cat is heavy but the stock can is a straight through exhaust like most aftermarket. The stock system has its own little growl. Combination of a good stock can and the Crossplane Motor help that. This bike and the Aprilia Tuono V4 are two of the best sounding stock bikes I've ever heard.

Here is a clip of my stock exhaust. (Best heard with ear buds if watching on phone or on a laptop with decent speakers)

https://youtu.be/vfHShg4a7kw

Most of the after market systems lighten the bike up, clean up the lines underneath the bike and give the bike a deeper tone. The Akrapovic 3/4 System is on the top of my list right now. It has the best lines in my mind and has the nicest tone without getting crazy loud.

This is a guy in California I know with it on his black FZ10. I would most likely remove the Akra Decal that comes on it and have a guy I know remake it with just Black/Grey/Silver colors to remove the red and yellow. If he can't I will just leave it without the decal.

Well done Bogie! It was an amazing bike stock and you've managed to improve it still. Yamaha has finally upped their game with this model and they were wise to do so as they've been losing ground to the competition.

What is your opinion of the OEM brakes and suspension? These are the two things I look at now after owning most of the FZ line-up. The next bike I buy will have it all. I am done with modding suspension and performance and we now have enough choices out there that will more than suit my needs. I'm getting slower as I get older. ;)

Well done Bogie! It was an amazing bike stock and you've managed to improve it still. Yamaha has finally upped their game with this model and they were wise to do so as they've been losing ground to the competition.

What is your opinion of the OEM brakes and suspension? These are the two things I look at now after owning most of the FZ line-up. The next bike I buy will have it all. I am done with modding suspension and performance and we now have enough choices out there that will more than suit my needs. I'm getting slower as I get older. ;)

Thanks!! This bike is amazing right out of the box for sure. Like any bike they give us, it has some ECU restrictions to meet emission standards. I have had the ECU flashed by 2 Wheel Dyno Works for the stock exhaust. It frees up 15% power on the bottom, 20% on the top end, takes out the throttle opening restrictions, top end restrictions, smooth's out the throttle and sets the fans to come on sooner to keep it cooler. The flash takes this beast and makes it a sophisticated beast. In B Mode (AKA BEAST MODE) and TC1 or TC2 (TC3 has wheelie control) the front end on this bike comes up under power with complete ease. Between the power and torque characteristics of the Crossplane motor and the shorter wheel base, this bike wants to be a complete hooligan!!! LOL

Some want to call it a Naked R1 but I prefer to call it a Streetable R1. You have to run the R1 in the top end of the RPM's to get full power and that isn't a good option unless you're on a track IMO. The FZ10 puts the power down low and midrange where it so much more usable on the street.

The OEM suspension and brakes are decent depending on your riding style and your size. If you are riding hard in the twisties, track days or you are much more than 185-190 fully geared, you would want to make some changes.

If you are a smaller guy and/or just doing some recreational riding then they are good enough.

I put on a set of EBC HH pads just because I wanted to get a little more initial bite feel for me. I ride pretty relaxed most of the time but I do like to go play in the curves now and then.

The suspension will have to be changed at some point for me as I am a bigger guy. There are no stock bikes that are set up for anyone that has any heft to them. I will be looking at an Ohlins rear shock and doing Ohlins internals on my stock forks to better suit by weight at some point but for now I make it work.

This bike is in no way suited for two people no matter the fact that it has a rear seat and pegs. LOL

The bike is hands down my favorite of any I have owned. Your face will be grinning ear to ear under your helmet every time you take it out.

Thanks for the detailed response! That helps a lot. I'm on the heavier side as well. 215 without gear at the moment.

Part of me wants to keep on riding and part of me wants to move on. I am in the final steps of buying a large tract of land and will need something on the property to work it, a couple things actually. I'll need a farm tractor and I'll need either a 4x4 or side-by-side to handle routine work. It's a lot of land to work and we have some big plans. I plan on a dirt track around the property for us to ride and the outer perimeter is just shy of one mile. I have a TTR-50 for the little ones and a TTR-125 for the slightly bigger kids. I guess I'm wondering just how much riding time I might have left given the tasks I need to work on.

I will keep the FZ1 for a few more years but I see a point down the road where I'll be without it or moving on to something different. If I still had the 2009 FZ1, I'd be trading today for the FZ-10, but now that I have the 2013 and haven't put hardly any miles on it, it is hard to justify swapping bikes. The '13 is all modded out except the forks. I can't do much else to it and all of that was carried forward from the 2009.

Now that I'm subscribed here, I can keep track of what you do and learn what to do when I do make a move should it be the FZ-10. I have to admit, the Tuono and the BMW S 1000 R have my attention with the Beemer winning due to OEM features. After working with the wife's new F800R, I'm amazed at what went into that little bike... things we would normally add or mod aren't needed because they were included. The power comparison is close, the price reflects the features though. So, I'd have to weigh the difference in costs to what it would take to make the FZ-10 as feature-rich (but they aren't far apart).

Thanks and keep it coming!

Most of the after market systems lighten the bike up, clean up the lines underneath the bike and give the bike a deeper tone. The Akrapovic 3/4 System is on the top of my list right now. It has the best lines in my mind and has the nicest tone without getting crazy loud.

The 3/4 system is the one my father in law installed. It sounds awesome and does remove a lot of weight. It still has the O2 sensors plugs as well. It is also the one recommended by the Yamaha Dealer we use as the stock headers are as good as any (they did themselves out of an expensive sale by selling him the 3/4!).

There are 2 end cans though. One looks a lot better than the other.

The 3/4 system is the one my father in law installed. It sounds awesome and does remove a lot of weight. It still has the O2 sensors plugs as well. It is also the one recommended by the Yamaha Dealer we use as the stock headers are as good as any (they did themselves out of an expensive sale by selling him the 3/4!).

There are 2 end cans though. One looks a lot better than the other.

I am currently running a flash from 2 Wheel Dyno Works for my stock exhaust. It frees up 20% more power off the bottom and 15% on the top. It smooths out the throttle and connects you to the bike. It is smooth as butter. Speed limiter and throttle limitations are also removed. The fan temps are lowered. The O2 sensors are removed. It turned this beast into a bigger and more sophisticated beast.

When I get my 3/4 system, I will also do the smog block off plates and remove the exup cables/motor. They already have a flash for the Akrapovic 3/4 system and will upgrade the flash for free. I get unlimited reflashes for any changes I make to the system. I just have to pay for shipping.

As on the previous page, this is the can I will be buying.

Nice bling!

jBQmgr

Back