Just did an oil change

torquewhore

I read up on all the old threads and found some really useful info out there.

I did the Wally route and got a gallon of Shell Rotella Synthetic 5w-40 for 19.99. Wal-Mart oil filter which is made by Champion.

I drained the oil while on the sidestand. After draining for a while it was only dripping and I tilted over toward the right side, then put up the kickstand and and leaned it waayyy over to the left - I was rewarded with a new splurge of dirty oil. I held it than position (right thigh under tank, hands on both bars, leaning over bike) until it dripped.

I really wanted to double flush it since I got the bike used last week and didn't know it's story, but I can't afford it. Oh well I drained it very thoroughly.

The wally filter is a little longer (3+ inches). I miscalculated how much oil to pour in from the gallon jug and put in 3.5 qts. It was just over the top mark in viewing window - probably would have been ok but I drained a little out anyway. The oil was hot it's tricky to get the drain plug back in when covered in oil. I've used a syringe with tubing before to remove overfilled oil but didn't have one handy this time. I bet a squirt bottle tube dipped into the crankcase and sprayed into a bucket would work well for this also.

Interesting note - the oil sits lower in the window when up on the center stand vs. on the ground and balancing level. I found that once off the stand the oil level rose a bit.

Others have noted smoother shifting. I didn't notice any notable difference. Sometimes I thought it was snicking down into first easier but also could be placebo.

Feels great to have fresh lube!

I am getting ready to change my oil tomorrow. I also bought the bike used, but the oil still looks relatively clean. However, I figured for the $20 I might as well change it. I already have a couple of oil filters left over from my other Yamaha so I only bought the Rotella.

I would suspect the shifting to feel a little better with the clean oil. Oh and I'll be sure to lean it over like you did to get every last drop that I can out.

I read up on all the old threads and found some really useful info out there.

I did the Wally route and got a gallon of Shell Rotella Synthetic 5w-40 for 19.99. Wal-Mart oil filter which is made by Champion.

I drained the oil while on the sidestand. After draining for a while it was only dripping and I tilted over toward the right side, then put up the kickstand and and leaned it waayyy over to the left - I was rewarded with a new splurge of dirty oil. I held it than position (right thigh under tank, hands on both bars, leaning over bike) until it dripped.

I really wanted to double flush it since I got the bike used last week and didn't know it's story, but I can't afford it. Oh well I drained it very thoroughly.

The wally filter is a little longer (3+ inches). I miscalculated how much oil to pour in from the gallon jug and put in 3.5 qts. It was just over the top mark in viewing window - probably would have been ok but I drained a little out anyway. The oil was hot it's tricky to get the drain plug back in when covered in oil. I've used a syringe with tubing before to remove overfilled oil but didn't have one handy this time. I bet a squirt bottle tube dipped into the crankcase and sprayed into a bucket would work well for this also.

Interesting note - the oil sits lower in the window when up on the center stand vs. on the ground and balancing level. I found that once off the stand the oil level rose a bit.

Others have noted smoother shifting. I didn't notice any notable difference. Sometimes I thought it was snicking down into first easier but also could be placebo.

Feels great to have fresh lube!

I just did the exact same change this weekend. Can't go wrong in the bang for the buck with $20 per gallon synth!

Shoot!!!!
I changed the oil on my FZ1 for the first time last night.
Why didn't i think of leaning it over on the side to drain it thoroughly??
Oh well, next time, it will get done right!

my favorite was the velocity in which it came out --with bike leaned over -- mised the first few ounces with the pan.....but I did find the aluminum foil useful.

Saw it in a picture of FZ1inNH showcasing it in his garage -- saved me spilling oil all over the exhaust -- in searc of picture....

Adam

I did the foil trick my first change but changed it up a little this past Sunday. I ran the bike up to temperature, turned it off and let it sit for a couple of minutes. I then used a 2 dollar rolled plastic from work (9x12 1mil.) and unrolled about 12 inches and cut it with a razor. I then unrolled the larger piece (now about 8x12) on the floor in the garage. I wheeled the bike backwards on top of the cloth and set her on the centerstand. I then got my drain pan and emptied the dirty oil out. When down to a tiny drip, I had my son position the pan as I tipped the bike over on the centerstand. I got a couple more dirty ounces out that way. By now the headers were only slightly warm so I took the other 12"x12' piece of dropcloth and unrolled it around the exhaust header beneath the filter. I wrapped it until it was done and took a piece of duct tape and secured it. I then removed the filter and whatever oil left spilled off the plastic into the drain pan. I cleaned everything really good, primed a new filter, installed it hand tight, cleaned my drain plug, attached a new washer, and reinstalled. When everything was buttoned up I took an exacto knife and ran it along the bottom of the plastic below the header. I then took one end and pushed it through to the other side. Not a drop fell on the header. I removed the drain pan, pushed the bike forward, rolled up the plastic with my dirty paper towels, and disposed of it leaving the garage floor perfectly clean. I rolled the bike back in and filled her up with new oil. I was THE cleanest oil change I ever did and only took 20 minutes, and that was removing the fairings as well. Of course my son was too lazy to take pics of the procedure. He had more important things to do like riding his bike. Maybe next time.

I had a couple PM's regarding this. Just so everyone knows I found a list of "superior" filters that was put up by some fellows on the other forum. They did a test of almost all the filters on the market by cutting filters and observing the quality of the filter elements. Longer filters are considered to have better filtering due to having more filtering element. Longer ones may be harder to clear various pieces on the bike but I had no problem at all on mine. The following are considered to be of better quality:

Recommended filters.
All have superior
filtering.

About 2.5 inches long.
Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
Mobil M1-108, about $12.
Made by Champion.
Bosch 3300, about $6.
Made by Champion.

About 3.25 inches long.
Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.
Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10.
Made by Champion.
Bosch 3323, about $6.
Made By Champion.
WalMart SuperTech ST7317,
about $2. Made by Champion.

My special technique during the oil change was to let the oil drip down onto the exhaust headers. Then I ran the bike and it burned off sweet.

Last edited:
Thanks to Torque for all the info. Me and CanonFuji just got back from Walmart. Hows this for a bargain: The oil filter ST7317 $2.78
Gal. Shell Rotella Non Synth. $11.77

Me last Sunday: Yamaha Oil Filter $9.00 dollars
4 Qts. Honda 20w50 Non Synth $32.00 dollars

Who's smarter than me!...........EVERYONE!!!!

Spending $41.00 dollars for an oil change........PRICELESS!!

Go ahead, let me have it. I deserve it.:shame:

you only need to be scorned if you took it to the dealer and paid to have it done....if you are satisfied.....that is all that counts.

Adam

Adam, I changed my methods.... This is the new oil change... well, this was the FZ6 but I don't have a pic with the FZ1 being changed yet. :D More info here: http://www.998cc.org/forum/garage-mechanical-help/1228-garage-tool-you-cannot-do-without.html

attachment.php

View attachment 562

Last edited:
Thats what I call \"hanging it out to dry\". I love it.

It sure makes it easy to work on! The FZ1 is easy to lift but her FZ6R with the fairings? Not so good and that's the one I really need it for as she has no center stand and I don't own paddock stands (yet).

Thanks!

Thanks! I just copied and pasted that badboy into "My Documents" for safe keeping. I noticed that the guy at the stealership gave my son the Yamaha filter but it was 1/4" shorter than the previous one that I used. While I'm not overly worried about this, I will probably swap it out for the ST7317 from Walmart which is about as long as the original Yamaha filter I had before. Thanks again.

Thanks to Torque for all the info. Me and CanonFuji just got back from Walmart. Hows this for a bargain: The oil filter ST7317 $2.78
Gal. Shell Rotella Non Synth. $11.77

Me last Sunday: Yamaha Oil Filter $9.00 dollars
4 Qts. Honda 20w50 Non Synth $32.00 dollars

Who's smarter than me!...........EVERYONE!!!!

Spending $41.00 dollars for an oil change........PRICELESS!!

Go ahead, let me have it. I deserve it.:shame:[/QUO

I once spent $60 at a stealer ship right after I moved...

Thanks for all the sympathy Adam. There's not a mean bone in your body my friend. All in all however, I am very satisfied. I'll get em next time.

I would not be so sure about that .... it is becoming harder and harder these days not to succumb to the darkside.....:sinister:

but for now, all is good.....

Adam

Back