Yamaha FZ1 Forums - International FZ1 Motorcycle Community Forum

Home Gallery Forum Market Place Chat Donations Games Site Info

Go Back   Yamaha FZ1 Forums - International FZ1 Motorcycle Community Forum > FZ1 Related Discussion > FZ1 Mods > Gen II Mods

Old 12-10-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
Buildercher

Default Ivans Performance

I have just dynoed my 06 FZ1n , PC3, Ivans FCU, Sub throttle plates, Airbox mod, DNA filter. Ivans map was all over the place with 143hp @ rear alot less than claimed on there website after dyno and custom map 152 @ rear. I also have an Ignition modual but unless you have made internal mods it is worth about 1hp I decided to disconnect it as the PC3 became unusually hot not to sure what going on there but PC3 works well without it. Has anyone custom mapped there bike and found Ivans map very strange?.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:43 AM   #2
Lonerider59
Threadhead

Bike: 2008 FZ1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

After I installed a PCIII and a map from Ivan, I also installed a gauge to monitor my Fuel to Oxygen ratios just so I could do my own changes. Ivan's map was rich in the middle, which I ended up changing. If you print out the map you can see where the fuel is added and taken away. It didn't look right when you see an area from 3250 RPM to 8000 and 2% to 10% throttle opening and every index adding exactly 10% more fuel. that's 59 indivual indexes all set at a plus 10%. It just looked to me more like "shotgunning" than actually increasing or decreasing at every index as the motor realy needed. I didn't dyno but I drove it a lot watching the A/F ratio's. That's why I had a thread a few days ago about people putting up their maps for comparison purposes. The bike runs fine and that's really what I care most about. Numbers don't mean much if the bike doesn't run in a civil manner.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonerider59 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2009, 06:11 AM   #3
NJFZ1

Bike: 2006 FZ1, 1997 YZF1000, 1988 Hawk GT, 1985 RZ500, 1984 RZ350
Thanked 2,989 Times in 2,136 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Well I am not going to come here and say anything good or bad about Ivan's maps as I have never used any of them. I know he has several versions out there so not sure if you tried his lates E version or not. I will say that all bikes are a little different and things such as gasoline quality (especially in other countries), altitude, humidity, etc. play a role in the tune. It's probably always best to have your bike dyno tuned locally than to try a "mass" produced map.
Yosh CF R-77 | PC V | BMC Filter & Air Box Mod| Graves Velocity Stacks | Ivan's FCE, AIS & STP | Evotech Gas Cap | Frame & Swing Arm Sliders | CA Integrated Taillight | Corbin Seats | 16T, 45T SuperSprox | SpeedoDRD | Pazzo Levers | Factory Full Fairings | Hyperpro Steering Damper
NJFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NJFZ1 For This Useful Post:
FZ1inNH (12-11-2009)
Old 12-11-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
Boomer

Bike: '08 FZ1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

You also need to note that Ivan is in the U.S., so has created his maps with a U.S. spec bike, running U.S. gasoline. (As far as I know, I don't see any other way he could make it.)

Gas varies quite a bit around the world, so since you are in NZ I'd recommend getting a custom map made by someone near you. That would likely work better. This is always the case anyway. Any map you download is just a map of the bike it was created on, and will never be 100% optimum for your bike.

Do you have an aftermarket exhaust? You didn't list that as a mod. This makes a big difference on the FZ1.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boomer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
Buildercher

Smile FZ1 06 Performance

Thanks for your input I never thought gas would play much of a part from country to country, I run 98 octane I found Ivans map very rich after custom mapping the bike it runs 152 @ rear and 75 @ torque. The bike feels very smooth and pulls hard. I am looking at a Penske 8983 to buy from the states, From what ive read they are just as good as Ohlins and more affordable any advice??
Old 12-11-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
Krispy1

Bike: 2007 FZ1
Send a message via AIM to Krispy1

I have the 8983 and it's an excellant shock. I have never owned an Ohlins so I can't give you a direct comparison. I think you would be satisfied either way as they both have excellant reputations.
SOLD-2007 FZ1 "The Fastest Cobalt Blue" Lars Air box Mod-Flies Zipped- BMC-PCIII With Dukens Maps-AIS Plugged-Exup Eliminated-Yoshi R77 Carbon Full System-16t front-DRD-Graves Sliders-Penske 8983-Forks Done By Traxxion-Sargent Seat

2004 R1 Shift Red-Full AK system-PC3 with custom map-BMC aircleaner-Penske 8983-AK 20's
Krispy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:11 AM   #7
BroHay
Stihl Loves Trees

Bike: 2001 FZ(R)1 Titanium Grey
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

98 octane from the pump?
Old 12-12-2009, 05:19 AM   #8
ozzieboy

Bike: FZ6 Broken/ZR7 Loaner FZ1-N Black 06
Send a message via ICQ to ozzieboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroHay View Post
98 octane from the pump?
Same in OZ. 91, 95 and 98. U/L, premium and Ultimate
ozzieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
Boomer

Bike: '08 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildercher View Post
after custom mapping the bike it runs 152 @ rear and 75 @ torque. The bike feels very smooth and pulls hard.
:tup:

Awesome man, that's some serious power.

Regarding gas in different countries. It's not only the gas, but the fact the bike is tuned from the factory to run best on your gas, so a map added on top of that should be made with the same setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroHay View Post
98 octane from the pump?
Well, remember in the US the octane ratings on the pump are an average of "research" and "motor" octane, if I remember correctly.

From Wikipedia:

Generally, octane ratings are higher in Europe than they are in North America and most other parts of the world. This is especially true when comparing the lowest available octane level in each country. In many parts of Europe, 95 RON (90-91 AKI) is the minimum available standard, with 97/98 RON being higher specification (being called Super Unleaded). The higher rating seen in Europe is an artifact of a different underlying measuring procedure. In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in Canada, the United States and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in Canada and the US, would be 91-92 in Europe. However most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as "regular", equivalent to 90–91 US AKI=(R+M)/2, and deliver 98, 99 or 100 (RON) (93-94 AKI) labeled as Super Unleaded - thus regular petrol sold in much of Europe corresponds to premium sold in the United States.
In other countries "regular" unleaded gasoline, when available, is sometimes as low as 85 RON (still with the more regular fuel, 95, and premium, around 98, available).

Last edited by Boomer; 12-12-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boomer For This Useful Post:
Oldschool (12-12-2009)
Old 12-13-2009, 04:51 AM   #10
Ivan_IPP

Bike: 2006 FZ1

The map is not too rich... wideband tuning results always show what you have posted here.

I would suggest that you read this thread... I spent a few hours explaining why people get different exhaust tuning results when going to a dyno center.

Pc V vs PCIII - FZ1OA Message Board

Ivan
Ivan_IPP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan_IPP For This Useful Post:
Oldschool (12-13-2009), stonesie (12-14-2009)