Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air box mod ?

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Air box mod ?

What is the airbox mod? I already have the power commander, yosh slip on and bmc air filter. This winter i'm going to pull the header and look at drilling out the cat. I would also like to get more air in, but don't know what or where to modify the air box. thanks # two.

Blog Entries
    Feedback Score: 2 reviews

I don't have a picture of it but, under the air filter and in the shape of the air filter, you would cut the bottom out of the airbox below the air filter. You will see, under the filter, a snorkel of plastic. Your goal is to remove this out to the edges where the airbox sides go vertical toward the air filter.

The extreme method is re-routing cables, etc to clear the area underneath and through the frame to allow maximum air intake. I'll see if I can grab a pic and attach it here.

That was easy... Found the original Lars pics, hence the nickname LARS Airbox Mod.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -lars1.jpg   -lars2.jpg   -lars3.jpg  
    Last edited by FZ1inNH; 10-29-2009 at 08:11 AM.

Blog Entries

Since this seems to be the only thread with pics on the subject after a search here, I'm making this a sticky for the GEN II mods page.

Special thanks to Lars over at FZ1OA for the borrowed phtotos! (Gotta give credit where credit is due!)

:tup:

Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Just to add to this. On the bottom picture it's ok to cut that piece that is sticking up at the front of the airbox. In other words you can just cut it straight across. There is no point in leaving it there and I believe that in a later thread Lars went back and cut it off. I cut it off when I did mine as well.
    Last edited by NJFZ1; 10-29-2009 at 10:12 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NJFZ1 View Post
    Just to add to this. On the bottom picture it's ok to cut that piece that is sticking up at the front of the airbox. In other words you can just cut it straight across. There is no point in leaving it there and I believe that in a later thread Lars went back and cut it off. I cut it off when I did mine as well.
    Now I have to go look at mine.... not sure if I cut that off or not! Thanks!!!

What benefits do you find with this mod and why didn't (or did) Yamaha engineers design the air box as they did? I put in a K&N High Flow filter recently and think I have improved low end torque?
    Last edited by Polestar; 11-16-2009 at 09:35 PM.
    "Forbear to be excited by praise or offended by criticism; and don't be too eager to give praise or criticism." Reuben Obermeister

2008 Granite Grey
    MODS: K&N Air Filter/ Power Commander V/ Corbin Front Saddle/ Graves standard sliders/ JW's Radiator Guard/ Satan's Hwy Pegs/ FZ6 Footrest Covers/ Puig Touring Windscreen-Smoke/ TechSpec Gripster Tank Grip/ G2 Throttle Tamer/ Yamaha Chin Spoiler

My Cage: '99 Merc C280 Sport

Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Polestar View Post
    What benefits do you find with this mod and why didn't (or did) Yamaha engineers design the air box as they did? I put in a K&N High Flow filter recently and think I have improved low end torque?
    I can't tell you why Yamaha engineers designed the airbox as they did, but in theory the stock opening is large enough to support the horsepower of the engine. The problem is that the design of the airbox forces the air to make a sharp turn. Seems that opening the airbox up lets the engine breath a lot better. Will be of most benefit once you do exhaust mods as well since more air in equals more air out.

Blog Entries

Here is a wiki on why airboxes are designed the way they are: Helmholtz resonance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Well dang! Now I feel like I did something wrong.

Stop trying to be right and just ride!

Question Air Box Mod HP Gains ?

I have an 08 FZ1 with a K+N / acraprovic end can / PCIII + Dyno run / remap completed with a RWHP = 146.
    Looking at the tread is looks like the Max HP I could gain from an Air Box mod + Cat gutting and Flies Mod would be 6 Hp at most would this be correct. If I did the above mods I presume I would need a remap again .. Newbie so just asking a question..