Yamaha FZ1 Forums - International FZ1 Motorcycle Community Forum

Home Gallery Forum Market Place Chat Donations Games Site Info

Go Back   Yamaha FZ1 Forums - International FZ1 Motorcycle Community Forum > FZ1 Related Discussion > FZ1 Mods

FZ1 Mods Lights, decals, paint, plates and wheels....What do you got? Seen? Want?

Old 04-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
skote
(OP)

Bike: 06 FZ1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Givi Luggage questions

i just got my fz1 wanna set it up for whatever so im getting luggage but want some insight.....whats the best most cost effective hard luggage ....seems like givi is my best option i want sidecases but ive read that you need the topcase mount or an adapter to run the sidecase mounts...is this true, if this is the case i mise well get the top case too lol

also if any us sellers have any v35 bags for sale let me know i would be a buyer most likely as long as condition is good
skote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
UAV online

Bike: 2009 FZ1

I had a Givi e52 topcase with an Admore LED light kit and the SW-Motech Alu-Rack on my previous bike, a Kawasaki Versys. It was not at all cost effective, but man was it sweet. I prefer one big topcase to two side cases. It's easier to access, and side cases would make me uncomfortable splitting lanes.

52 liters was more than I needed most of the time, but on those rare occasions it was nice to have room for everything. And its shape is such that you can just throw stuff in there and be on your way...

Anyway, you were looking for cost-effective solutions. JC Whitney used to have some cheap, decent quality topcases. I'd check that out.
UAV online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:51 AM   #3
Dustin
Dedicated

Bike: 2002 Honda VFR800 VTEC, 2007 Yamaha C3
Thanked 2,606 Times in 1,603 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I ran a full Givi set up on my FZ1 (and do still on my SV). Givi V46 top case and E21 side cases. I couldn't imagine any other way! It is well worth the small initial investment if you commute or tour.

Save yourself some money by buying the cases off of Craigslist or something. Lots of barely-used cases on there all the time. Racks, too.
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:42 AM   #4
MrHix

Bike: 09 FZ1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by skote View Post
i just got my fz1 wanna set it up for whatever so im getting luggage but want some insight.....whats the best most cost effective hard luggage ....seems like givi is my best option i want sidecases but ive read that you need the topcase mount or an adapter to run the sidecase mounts...is this true, if this is the case i mise well get the top case too lol

also if any us sellers have any v35 bags for sale let me know i would be a buyer most likely as long as condition is good
I have the Givi PLXR quick release carrier with the V35 bags. I installed the topcase rack, but I usually remove it. If you do this, you can use a spacer for the top PLXR mount and not run the topcase rack. I also installed the Admore light kit, great product.

Cheers,

MrHix
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:45 AM   #5
loosenut
Threadhead

Bike: 2007 Yamaha FZ1

I'm running a full set of Givi luggage. I went with the SWmotech rack. I started with just a 46L top box and then added the V35 side cases.
Attached Thumbnails
-img_0661.jpg  

2007 Yamaha FZ1 - Raven
2005 GasGas EC300 (with plate)
1975 Honda CB500T Cafe project
2004 GasGas Pampera 280 (hers)
loosenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:49 AM   #6
Oldschool

Bike: 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Thanked 3,260 Times in 1,731 Posts
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Default Side cases only here

I run just the V-35 side cases without the top box. The Givi racks work just fine like this. Not cheap, but a great setup. I am another that has the Admore lights in the cases. I bought my Givi set up through the same dealer that sold me the bike.

"Pilots Resume" "Facetime"
Oldschool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #7
loosenut
Threadhead

Bike: 2007 Yamaha FZ1

The top box by itself on the bike looks a little goofy, but I don't care. It's way fucntional. The side cases get used far less, but it's nice to have plenty of space for extra stuff that I occasionally need.

2007 Yamaha FZ1 - Raven
2005 GasGas EC300 (with plate)
1975 Honda CB500T Cafe project
2004 GasGas Pampera 280 (hers)
loosenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
Marthy

Bike: 09 FZ6R / 14 FZ-09

Amazon.com: Bestem T-Box TBOX-929-BLK Black 12" X 22" X 16" Motorcycle/Scooter Flat Top Box: Automotive Amazon.com: Bestem T-Box TBOX-929-BLK Black 12" X 22" X 16" Motorcycle/Scooter Flat Top Box: Automotive

http://www.bestemusa.com/Bestem-T-Bo...it_p_1040.html

Here you go. I'm using the E21 side case with one of those top case. Mine is a bit different but this one as running and brake lights. If you go on there website directly you can also get the inner liner. Look out ebay for large motorcycle trunk. There's a bunch there under $100.00 that do the job just fine...

This is what I have right now...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTRA-LARGE-...40ce59&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Marthy; 04-04-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Marthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
NJFZ1

Bike: 2006 FZ1, 1997 YZF1000, 1988 Hawk GT, 1985 RZ500, 1984 RZ350
Thanked 2,989 Times in 2,136 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by skote View Post

I have the V35 side cases with the quick release brackets. Easy enough to mount and yes if you're not getting the top case mount then you will need to get additional parts to mount just the side cases. Givi sells such a kit as well. As for V35 prices...well there are no real cheap places that I know of. Best price I found for the flat black cases was here:

GIVI SADDLEBAG SET V35 MONOKEY BLACK MATTE BLACK LIDS | eBay
NJFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote