Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My '05 came with stock exhaust when i got it, but I ended up putting a holeshot complete system on. Its fairly loud, but I wear ear plugs when i ride anyway due to wind noise so exhaust sound isn't an issue. The only time I'm self conscious of the db's is when its early early in the morning and I'm commuting to work. I can't imagine my neighbor enjoys the brief warmup period.

I enjoy the weight savings over stock headers and exhaust, as well as the look. Its also a fair bit slimmer which helps me enter and exit my garage next to the car. That stock can is giant!

The problem with the stock exhaust on the Gen2 FZ1s is that they are incredibly heavy.
    Loosenut
    A.K.A. Mike

2007 Yamaha FZ1 - Raven
    2005 GasGas EC300 (with plate)
    2004 GasGas Pampera 280 (hers)

Did a little more digging today and found out the previous owner gutted the cat. Dunno if putting the stock exhaust back on after gutting the cat is a good/bad/negligible idea? Previous owner said Delkevic makes a quieter slip-on so maybe that's an option. Or I guess I could just get the ECU reflashed as suggested earlier. Or just leave the damn thing alone and wear my earplugs like I should be doing anyhow on long trips.
    2012 FZ1
    2007 KTM 950 Supermoto

Quote Originally Posted by loosenut View Post
    The problem with the stock exhaust on the Gen2 FZ1s is that they are incredibly heavy.
    Your right , but I can't help feeling the bike is better balanced with the stocker
    Cheers Delbert

Tell it like it is

Another silly question. Sorry for my ignorance here, but I just reinstalled the stock muffler, this just to give a try. I reconnected the exup cables but I they don't seem to be opening nor closing the valve no matter how I rev the engine. Advice? It was open when I reinstalled so does it even matter per se?
    Last edited by Bpreynolds; 05-06-2017 at 12:46 PM.
    2012 FZ1
    2007 KTM 950 Supermoto

I never checked mine but the exhaust tone changes around 5-6K I assume that's the exup valve opening. Was the servo under the seat removed/disconnected by the previous owner? Does the valve move freely by hand with the cables disconnected? Do the cables move freely? From what I have gathered from other posts, some say there is a difference in mid range torque with it disabled and some say no difference. Never tried it myself.

If you like the sound/look of the stock exhaust I would say use it, its as close as your going to get to stock as far as fueling is concerned. I doubt that just removing the cat would make much of a difference in back pressure. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by 9Lives; 05-06-2017 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bpreynolds View Post
    Another silly question. Sorry for my ignorance here, but I just reinstalled the stock muffler, this just to give a try. I reconnected the exup cables but I they don't seem to be opening nor closing the valve no matter how I rev the engine. Advice? It was open when I reinstalled so does it even matter per se?
    I don't bother with mine i have just wired it open ,,, your unlikely to see it move ,total waste of time how ever it should cycle when you turn the ign on if it doesn't you may have the cables the wrong way round
    Cheers Delbert

Tell it like it is

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm gonna give it a short ride tonight. The cables were connected under the seat; original owner only disconnected cables and zip tied them near the muffler when he installed the Scorpion. I installed the so called black cable on the bottom and so I think I've got that right. Maybe. LOL. I'll give it a spin tonight and see how it goes. I can already say the stock sound is more to my personal preferred decibal level everywhere except wide open where the Scorpion really screamed nicely. And yes, I admit the slip-on was some serious weight savings compared to stock but I was also surprised the stock muffler, compared to other bikes I've owned, seems considerably lighter. On some of my previous Guzzis, I'm not kidding you could barely hold the things up while trying to get them positioned correctly.
    2012 FZ1
    2007 KTM 950 Supermoto

I prefer the after market scorpion I have the serket exhaust and the bike growls it actually made the bike throttle much better I did the cat gutted but no air box mod just an after market filter.
    Fz1 Fazer 07 (gone) now 2012 fz1 Fazer scorpion exhaust+ cat converter taken out,heated grips,full fairing,gear indicator

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12