difficult hot start

VTT

Hi all
I as a 2012 FZ1 with 1000miles, but the situation is the same since day 1. When the engine is cold it start perfectly, only have to touch the start botton and it start/run fine. But if i stop the engine for a short time, its hard to restart, i have to blip the trottle, if not it dosnt start, even if i blip, it can take me 2-3 try before it start.
i dont think its a normal situation...

when the engine is fully warmed up to 180f ++ set your idle speed to 1200-1350 rpm. That may help. You may also want to check and see if you have any codes.

I assume your 2012 is still under warranty so a trip to the dealer is always an option.

Last edited:
I read other complaints about the slow to crank hot start by others in the past. I have experienced it with my 2007. I find that if I ride the bike and it is at full operating temperature and then turn it off for more than a couple minutes, it would take several seconds of pushing the start button before the engine fired up. One thing that helped me was to turn on and off the key a couple times so the fuel pump will move cooler fuel into the fuel rail and thus my bike starts easier.

my 2008 can also be a little harder to start when hot,I sometimes give it a little more throttle or as loosenut said, turn the key off again then back on, let it go through its full mode then press the start button.

Is the battery holding CCA/voltage?

Check the engine temp when the motor is hot. The temp sensor should be close to 180-200. If the motor is hot and the water temp gauge is showing something stupid like 30 degrees, all sorts of hot start issues can show up.

Are you holding the throttle open when cranking? Some motors are very fussy to start if you are holding the throttle open too far.

Beast

My 2012 does the same thing. When it's hot it will fire up and quit immediately. After that, it's really hard to start. I find if I hold the starter button, it will start, quit but the starter will re-engage and keep it turning for a second, and then will start up and idle normally. Usually after starting hot I also find it will stall pretty easily unless I give the throttle a few shots before I ride it, or, failing that, take off pretty aggressively. If I try to just ride off nice and easy it almost always stalls if it's right after a hot start.

am having the exact same issue as you! Mine's going to the dealer for it's 1000 mile service on Thursday where I'm definitely going to ask about this... Will post back with findings.

Asked the garage about it and they took a look. The only thing that they noticed is that the idle rpm was too low. Once you got your motor warned up, it should idle at roughly between 1100rpm and 1300rpm... mine was around 900!

Couple turns clockwise on the idle adjustment screw (left hand side, philips screwdriver, roughly below where your knee) and I haven't had a problem since :)

I'll try this.

I read other complaints about the slow to crank hot start by others in the past. I have experienced it with my 2007. I find that if I ride the bike and it is at full operating temperature and then turn it off for more than a couple minutes, it would take several seconds of pushing the start button before the engine fired up. One thing that helped me was to turn on and off the key a couple times so the fuel pump will move cooler fuel into the fuel rail and thus my bike starts easier.

Thanks. This happened to me last month in Tahoe after topping off my tank an hour into my ride. It FINALLY started by just holding the start button for over 20 seconds.

:beer::beer::beer:

Ahhh...just happened to me on Saturday. Wasn't sure if it was bad fuel, or a vapor lock. Has never happened to me before, but only have about 1000 miles on the clock. My idle speed is only about 900rpm when warm.

But now that I know others have had this problem, I feel better. I'll try to find the idle speed screw (anybody got a pic??)

It's on the clutch-side of the engine. It's the large thumb screw between the engine and frame. Clockwise turn to idle up. I'll look for a picture.

In this pic it is the silver/white you see directly above Tony's hands.

fz1innh-albums-busted-knuckle-garage-meet-2010-picture849-dsc08498.jpg

Last edited:
Good. Thank you. Clockwise until idle is between 1100 and 1300 rpm when fully warm. Got it. The owner's manual gives the proper speed, but not how to adjust. I'm not sure why Yamaha recommends your local shop make this adjustment.

Jeff

Sorry to revive an old thread. I adjusted the idle after riding the bike about a couple weeks ago, and that did not help the hot/warm start issue. Any other suggestions?

Bike always starts cold on first try in the morning. At lunch after it has been sitting out it will never start on the first couple tries. I have found that giving some throttle to and hitting the starter eventually gets the bike started.
- How can I check for vapor lock?
- How do I check regulator?

http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii-tech/20381-hot-start-idling-problem.html

Back