Graves frame sliders

Need help with frame, axle sliders.
Yamaha frame sliders by Graves come in long and regular length.
What advantage is there with the long slider, i.e. what is protected by the long that isn't with the reqular lenth?
What type of slider set-up does one need to save the cupolino and the muffler?
Axle sliders front and rear or just the front?:confused0024:

:confused0024: I am in the same boat. I just got lower fairings for my Gen1 and am looking for sliders now. I have seen guys put the sliders on along with the fairings but I think there is some kind of mod to get it to work. Someone will help us I am sure.

Need help with frame, axle sliders.
Yamaha frame sliders by Graves come in long and regular length.
What advantage is there with the long slider, i.e. what is protected by the long that isn't with the reqular lenth?
What type of slider set-up does one need to save the cupolino and the muffler?
Axle sliders front and rear or just the front?:confused0024:

Personally, I think the longer ones have a better chance of getting caught and bending or acting as a lever to bounce the bike around.

I don't think that there is a way to save the muffler if it goes down on the right side. The swing arm or axle slider in the rear isn't going to do it.

In my opinion... when the bike is down on the road, sliding, you want it as low to the ground as it can be... yeah.. there's no protecting some items... normally, the tank, bars, exhaust, etc. will pay the price in a wreck... In a lowside wreck though... lets say you're sliding on the exhaust side... the tires will come off the ground and slide on the frame slider and the exhaust... with longer sliders, the weight bias may make the tires touch back down to the pavement... in this case, the tires may grab, and start the bike flipping side over side... doing a lot more damage....

This is all in my opinion... I don't have any hard data to back this up... but it makes sense to me that this is how things would work in a wreck.

Ain't Physics a ***ch! Did not care for it during highschool/college, and now all I seem to do is take interest in that which bored me back then. (guess I've found the right motivation to make me want to learn.....)

Useful perspective, as always VA, being that I'm going to get a set of lowers, need to try and protect some of the investment......

BroHay

Personally, I think the longer ones have a better chance of getting caught and bending or acting as a lever to bounce the bike around.

That's what concerns me too. Although sliders seem like simple things, there's a bit of engineering that makes them work as they should.

Useful perspective, as always VA, being that I'm going to get a set of lowers, need to try and protect some of the investment......

BroHay

now... on our Gen I's.... because the frame slider location is so low on the frame.... there's no saving anything... the tank will be crap... as will the tail... and the fairing, the bars and pretty much everything else.... just the nature of the beast on our Gen I's.... but... the engine should survive with a good set of sliders.... on the Gen I, you definitely want short.... I bought some at first that were about 3" long... a had them ground down at angles after not very long... they were dragging the road....

Damn, that is low!

On the Gen II, I'm concerned about the engine and frame. If the plastics take a beating then so be it. I can always order the FZ1N kit and make it Euro naked. :D

va_rider, I hadn't thought of sliders in the same light as you. Thanks for making me think outside the box. Given that aspect of the sliders functionality, I'd lean more toward the Delrin sliders rather than solid metal like the aluminum. The Delrin would slide and grind down, as they should, much easier. Not sure how the aluminum ones would fair in the same slide.

Most quality sliders are designed to also bend or break off if caught. Some do not and end up cracking or totally breaking the frame. Regarless, they are designed to "give out" in several ways and take the worst of the punishment.

Last, speed is the main factor. The faster a bike is in an off, the worse the damage (expected) but this means the sliders will also wear faster as well.

Sliders are like insurance. We buy it in hopes that we never have to use it. It's a total waste of money UNTIL you have to use it. :D

Sliders are like insurance. We buy it in hopes that we never have to use it. It's a total waste of money UNTIL you have to use it. :D
Absolutely. See pic of my TopBlock and front fork slider on my GenII after I lost grip on my frontwheel during a fast right turn on the track. Only damage to the bike was my right indicator and a bent brake pedal

100_7005.jpg

100_7004.jpg

Back